mini mill
(07-25-2012, 02:35 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: ...Pure torture especially considering we did it in a tin shed in January/February in Australia, most days were well over 30 degrees C up to about 42 degrees C so about 90 - 105 degrees F...

Well I'm half way there, I have a tin shed in Australia Big Grin

What size were the plates you scraped to make the master Rick?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-25-2012, 09:26 AM)Highpower Wrote: Did I just hear someone volunteer to do a "how to" on performing this procedure with Acrobat?

Something like THIS perhaps?
Thanks given by:
(07-26-2012, 05:02 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 02:35 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: ...Pure torture especially considering we did it in a tin shed in January/February in Australia, most days were well over 30 degrees C up to about 42 degrees C so about 90 - 105 degrees F...

Well I'm half way there, I have a tin shed in Australia Big Grin

What size were the plates you scraped to make the master Rick?

Hello Darren,
Luckily it was more of a training exercise rather than a proper job, From memory they were about 3"x 4" which is still quite a bit of work, but in soft grey cast iron it's not too bad, an interesting point is that I did the course at the Steelworks Technical Training centre and they exclusively used scrapers made from old files.

One of the steps when scraping from a filed surface rather than a machined surface is to start filing the high spots using the "Belly" of the file and locating the high spots with a standard surface and prussian blue, much the same as you do when scraping.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
this thread started off with me tearing my mini mill apart to fix the slop in the y axis and ended up with me redoing all the slides on the mill and a couple other surfaces, mill works a heck of a lot better now then it did when I first got it. I may of or may not of mentioned that I had already changed the thing from the plastic gears that were in it to metal gears in the hi low section of the transmission for a better word to explain the gear train. These of course were removed in due course and a belt drive of my making was installed to get rid of the noisy gear drive, plus it still had one plastic gear that hadn't been replaced with a metal one.

I had thoughts of CNC on the table or at least of a homemade table drive that could eventually be upgraded to my RF45, Wholesale Tool ZX45.

So I started gathering up some stepper motors and stuff and basically put it on the back of the shelf, or arm of the couch for a year or so. Well I got the stuff out the other day and this is what has happened.

dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Oooooh - you've started a monster!
Thanks given by:
just so it doesn't start breathing fire, but its got me doing this BashBashBashBash a lot lately

Da#$ still a 106 degrees here in OKC tonight
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: