Silver soldering BS blades or Carbide?
Frankly all I just mentioned it, I'm not looking to use it in spite of the good advice I'm getting here.
If anyone would like to give it a kick they're welcome to it for the postage.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hello Steve,
Even if you're not going to use it, I figure someone else night gain from the procedure;
I will assume that you manually move the sliding blocks,

1, Trim the blade ends perfectly square, use a grinder as required,
2, Separate the two mounting blocks, now mount the blade into the blocks making sure that the join is "dead centre"
3, Apply force to push the two blade ends together, and while maintaining the pressure press the black button for just long enough for the blade ends to weld, you will know this has happened as the blocks will slide together, if you continue to hold the button the new weld will melt away completely,
4, Allow the weld to cool, you need to anneal; while maintaining the pressure on the sliding block tap the weld button lightly while watching the blade between the blocks you should see a discolouration, do this three or four times but never let the join get to red heat otherwise you will need to repeat the annealing operation,
5, Remove the blade and grind off the flashing, dont forget the edge with the teeth on it, as a lump here is not good the lump can break off in the cut and all your teeth will run across it
6, If you still have breakage problems, remount the blade in the welder after grinding for one last annealing step, so that is one very quick tap on the button, before you reanneal, put a drop of light machine oil on the join and try to get the blade to a dark straw and no darker than light blue, evaporating the oil slows the heating process and the residue also slows the cooling slightly.
7, check to see the teeth are pointing the right way, easily rectified without breaking the blade but not everybody knows this, to rectify simply twist the blade until it "flips"

I hope this is of use to someone, this procedure is self taught as there were no instructions for the welder with bandsaw it is attached to, except for the safety warning about eye protection and a note telling you not to use the teeny weeny little blade shear to cut off your or other people's fingers, and I couldn't find any on the web or anywhere else, I went to the shop that supplied the machine and the Rep just shrugged, he then put me in touch with another owner who said don't bother with it they are C$%p welders his had never worked, after I worked it out I taught him how to via email as I had moved to the UK, now he loves it.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Rick, I'll keep your instructions on hand, they correspond pretty well to the procedure I followed except I never knew about the annealing process. I may even try it out someday, provided no one else is keen to have a go. If no one is interested it will stay in "inventory" (words from the man who NEVER throws anything out).
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: