Interesting looking Ward lathe
As we all do, I have a look in the classifieds to see what is out there. I just saw this ad and I don't think I have ever seen a lathe like this, so I thought I would share.

Here is the ad

Besides knowing what style lathe this is (or whether it is set up for something specific), I'd also like to know what is shown in pic 6. Are these some type of collet jaws?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hey Darren,

That's a capstan lathe.

It has a turret (or capstan) that will hold a number of differternt tools with lots of stops you can pre-set to do multiple and mind numbingly repetitive operations. You could buy it and go into business making thousands of identical widgets. Don't know about you though, but making more than one of just about anything makes me a little flaky. Blink

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
So that is what is at the tailstock end? I saw a turret lathe at the L.S. Starrett factory last year but I it looking rather different. Mind you, I saw a lot of new and interesting stuff when I was there.

So, are they some form of work holding jaws in picture 6?
Thanks given by:
Look like collet jaws as being used in the headstock spindle in Photo #2.
As Tom mentioned really a production machine, although it could probably perform any of the operations of a toolroom lathe within the limitations of the relatively small swing over the carriage.
Interesting rounded corner bed, cross slide and turret slide.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Not looking to buy it - just curiuos and thought it was interesting.
Thanks given by:
(07-19-2012, 07:11 AM)Mayhem Wrote: So that is what is at the tailstock end? I saw a turret lathe at the L.S. Starrett factory last year but I it looking rather different. Mind you, I saw a lot of new and interesting stuff when I was there.

So, are they some form of work holding jaws in picture 6?

Turret lathes don't have tailstocks, the turret or capstan takes their place. In addition to the tool post, much of the tooling gets mounted in the turret, both cutting bits and drills. The cross slide on the back is for cut-off. The large crank on a manual machine indexes the turret and advances it to the pre-set stops.

Those are collet jaws in pic six.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I have two of these in storage back in Australia, Mine are Ward 3a models, they were cutting edge during WW2.

They have a massive range of collets with square, Hex, and of course round sizes, all of the tooling is still available, each of the six turret faces has it's own depth stop, that is geared to turret position, in addition the carriage has six feed stops built in as well on a rotating arrangement and the cross slide has spring clips that allow setting of various depths, both the turret and carriage have multiple feed rates that can be changed without stopping the spindle and the cross slide has hard adjustable stops hidden under a hinged cover, they are simply beautiful machines to use, threading is usually by die boxes of the herbert design and internal threads can be cut with collapsible taps too, small diameters are turned using "boxes" which have a guide bush, and an adjustable cutting tool the bushes act like a little moving steady the boxes are mounted in the turret as well,

The most satisfying part of the machine is the indexing action, the big handwheel on the turret is rotated top towards the headstock to engage the tooling, once it stops you rotate this handwheel away from the headstock, when it gets to the pre set point the gearing kicks in and swings the turret complete with the rotating stop block and all the tools to the next turret position, Lovely to watch.

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2012, 04:10 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: I have two of these in storage back in Australia, Mine are Ward 3a models, they were cutting edge during WW2.

They have a massive range of collets with square, Hex, and of course round sizes, all of the tooling is still available, each of the six turret faces has it's own depth stop, that is geared to turret position, in addition the carriage has six feed stops built in as well on a rotating arrangement and the cross slide has spring clips that allow setting of various depths, both the turret and carriage have multiple feed rates that can be changed without stopping the spindle and the cross slide has hard adjustable stops hidden under a hinged cover, they are simply beautiful machines to use, threading is usually by die boxes of the herbert design and internal threads can be cut with collapsible taps too, small diameters are turned using "boxes" which have a guide bush, and an adjustable cutting tool the bushes act like a little moving steady the boxes are mounted in the turret as well,

The most satisfying part of the machine is the indexing action, the big handwheel on the turret is rotated top towards the headstock to engage the tooling, once it stops you rotate this handwheel away from the headstock, when it gets to the pre set point the gearing kicks in and swings the turret complete with the rotating stop block and all the tools to the next turret position, Lovely to watch.

Regards
Rick

I always wanted a turret lathe and spotted a Morey #2 on on Craig's List last night for $300. Unfortunately I don't have the room for it plus it would cost a fortune to tool it up. I think today it would make more sense to go with a 2 axis CNC instead of a manual turret lathe. They are pretty cool though. I could stand there and cycle the turret all day (I'm easily entertained) Cool

Tom
Thanks given by:
Oh the work of a turret lathe! I have had,used, and appreciated the slick semi automation. However, the repetative operation is TOTALLY unattractive to me, hence my disinterest in CNC. Just me, and my "old guy" opinions.
Thanks just the same, I still like the "looky, looky" factor.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Turret lathes are always huge and have no work envelope at all. I think my 9x20 has a similar work capacity to a 3a Ward, but the Ward is beautiful just to look at and play with the actions, the nearest thing to the fascination is that feeling that you get when looking into the action of a lever or pump action firearm where you get all of the emotive clicks and other sounds as you see the old case flying out and the new shell sliding into the chamber, maybe fifty individual parts doing their specific little job in the most efficient way possible.

I hope that makes sense.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: