Interesting looking Ward lathe
(08-27-2012, 07:10 PM)stevec Wrote: Oh the work of a turret lathe! I have had,used, and appreciated the slick semi automation. However, the repetative operation is TOTALLY unattractive to me, hence my disinterest in CNC. Just me, and my "old guy" opinions.
Thanks just the same, I still like the "looky, looky" factor.

Steve,

I spent 23 years at my last job as a research machinist and used CNC for about 20 of them. Yes CNC can be used for production, but it can also do everything a manual mill or lathe can and more (much much more) at five to ten times as fast. Our mill had conversational programming so we could program it at the machine for simple parts very quickly. By the time I left we had it living on the network and could upload the tool path of a complex part directly to the mill from the design department. A paper drawing was made available just so we could set up the machine and check tolerances. I miss it a lot and can't wait to get one at my home shop. Once you've had a taste of CNC, it's hard to go back to a manual machine. Drool

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2012, 04:10 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: I have two of these in storage back in Australia, Mine are Ward 3a models, they were cutting edge during WW2.

Hmmm - exactly where are they stored and how securly Rick? Chin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2012, 11:48 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 04:10 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: I have two of these in storage back in Australia, Mine are Ward 3a models, they were cutting edge during WW2.

Hmmm - exactly where are they stored and how securly Rick? Chin

You mean that monstrousity you have now isn't enough Mayhem? RotflRotfl

I can appreciate that, I own something like 30 firearms and I'm no where near where I would like to be, I want them all Blush
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
She is enough for me and I still have a lot of work to do on her to get her back to full functionality but I only get one day a week in the shop and some weeks, she sits idle. It would be nice to give her some company Big Grin

Also, if Rick has two Ward Model 3As in storage there is no telling what other treasures he has tucked away in there. We may even find Harold Holt in there somewhere (the Australian version of finding Jimmy Hoffa).
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2012, 07:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote: We may even find Harold Holt in there somewhere (the Australian version of finding Jimmy Hoffa).

Lol. They are still digging holes around here looking for Hoffa. It's become something of a joke. A common rumor is that he went down the garbage disposal at the Machus Red Fox restaurant, since that is where he was last seen.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2012, 07:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote: We may even find Harold Holt in there somewhere (the Australian version of finding Jimmy Hoffa).

If you find Jimmy in there along with Harry, leave Jimmy there please. Happyyes

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2012, 12:04 AM)SnailPowered Wrote: ...I own something like 30 firearms and I'm no where near where I would like to be, I want them all Blush

You haven't confused machinery with mercenary have you?
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2012, 04:03 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 12:04 AM)SnailPowered Wrote: ...I own something like 30 firearms and I'm no where near where I would like to be, I want them all Blush

You haven't confused machinery with mercenary have you?

RotflRotfl I prefer to consider myself a collector. I actually don't shoot all that much but I really enjoy looking at them and taking them out and admiring them. Smiley-eatdrink004Blush
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Sorry Darren the Wards are very secure, hiding inside some shipping containers in a very obscure 25 acre country property.
Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: