new magnet old base
I have it all together now, first off I would like to say that this is a nice addition to my collection of tools and I now have a base that will stick without coming loose when someone looks at it.

I think that the next one I do I will make a new block as one guy did on Alloy Avenue a Casting Forum that I belong to. This link pretty much lays out what I did except that I used a base that I already had and I only used one magnet instead of two because my base is quite a bit smaller then his.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread...netic-Base

In putting the magnet (for a better word) carrier together I had to knock the two cast iron pieces out of the carrier, as they say hind sight is 20/20 I should of heated it to melt the loctite, I didn't I was finally able to get them out. I then installed the magnet after remarking the poles so I could line them up under the two windows for the Cast Iron parts. This was the easy part, drop in the magnet put a brass screw in it to hold it in place with a little loctite no problems.

Putting them two Iron bits back in lots of problems, number one when the magnet graps the part you can hardly move it. What I finally did after a couple of hours of trying to put them in, I finally decided to drill and tap a hole in them which I screwed bit of 1/4 inch rod that had the end thread for about an inch. This allowed me to screw the iron part up on the rod them I would put the end of the rod against the magnet and was able to hold it so that I could then screw it down into the hole. Once it was started into the hole I could remove the rod then tap the iron parts down into the hole. The holes I will probably fill them with some 5 minute epoxy I see no reason to have to take it apart.

There is enough magnetic attraction between the base and the magnet that the spool/carrier/switch won't fall out so I don't know if I will put a detent in it or not.

link to the magnet that I used

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.as...=RX04X0DIA

sorry about the quality of the finish, I have had this camera for several year and still have yet to find the smooth and shiny settingSmiley-signs131
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
new magnet old base - by dallen - 07-20-2012, 07:31 AM
RE: new magnet old base - by DaveH - 07-20-2012, 08:28 AM
RE: new magnet old base - by dallen - 07-20-2012, 09:18 AM
RE: new magnet old base - by dallen - 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM
RE: new magnet old base - by DaveH - 07-22-2012, 06:42 AM
RE: new magnet old base - by dallen - 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM
RE: new magnet old base - by NevadaBlue - 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM
RE: new magnet old base - by krv3000 - 07-22-2012, 04:00 PM
RE: new magnet old base - by DaveH - 07-22-2012, 04:04 PM