A dividing head/indexer from old pistons.
the drawing is not to scale, just a box diagram to show the relationship of the parts.

The pistons are machined on the bottom, the distance from that bottom 'deck' to the wrist pin hole is the same and I didn't move the cutter height during machining the pair. I'll double check the distance from the machined top (which will become the bottom) before I finish the 'pillow blocks'. So, yes, the purpose of the piston is just to hold those nice nice big heavy precise wrist pins.

The reason I used the mill and fly cutter is that I couldn't find the other set of jaws for my 3 jaw chuck. Since then I found the jaws, now I can turn them in the lathe. Much easier... and when I do that, I'll make sure that both wrist pin holes are at the same height.

I thought of doing this many years ago, actually was considering making a wood lathe with this idea at one time. I just thought it would be fun to re-purpose the pistons for something useful.
Ken
An old tired/retired/wanna-be machinist. Cool
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: A dividing head/indexer from old pistons. - by NevadaBlue - 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM