A dividing head/indexer from old pistons.
(08-14-2012, 05:30 PM)dallen Wrote:
(08-14-2012, 03:13 PM)Rickabilly Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 10:58 PM)dallen Wrote: depends on the alloy thats in the pistons, most of them are cut from a bar of round stock and machined out. Some the alloy is way off out in left field due to the heat and pressure that they work in specially big construction equipment and truck engines

Sorry Dallen,
It's actually really rare to find billet pistons, 90% or more are cast and the heavy duty stuff is almost exclusively forged, they do cut a lump off the end of a piece of barstock then heat it to around 400C drop it into a Cup shaped Die, then push the male die into it the male Die forms the inner cavity of the piston, from there they drill, bore and finish the wrist pin bore and then registering on the wrist pin the top and skirt are machined last,...

Best regards
Rick

I can see your way for specialty pistons. I think the video is more in line with normal everyday pistons that don't have to make it around the race track.

But I may be wrong

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+...FORM=VIRE2

and yes wrist pins are hard, I hadn't planned on trying to turn them thou.

Not to be contrary but maybe I didn't understand this post. The process shown in that video is exactly what Rickabilly was talking about - forged pistons. Cool

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: A dividing head/indexer from old pistons. - by ScrapMetal - 08-17-2012, 01:27 AM