Atlas 6 inch saved from scrapper
Nice score Bill. Even if it was worn it is better used a a paper weight than going for scrap. I look forward to watching its revival.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
The bed and legs are now Hammered Grey. Done deal in less than 30 hours.

"Billy G" Thumbsup

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Lust took the headstock apart. OUCH. I can save the spindle and bearings but that is about all. Gears are chewed up big time. Pics of carnage to follow.

"Billy G" Jawdrop
Thanks given by:
Not pretty. About 200 for parts. As I said OUCH.

"Billy G" Smiley-signs081

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Bill,

At least the spindle is usable. That would be difficult to make in a hobby machine shop, I would imagine.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I would say, forget the original design and go with a variable speed drive motor, It will be quieter and nicer to use any way, just fit a two speed pulley drive to give two ranges and you will not suffer any great deal of torque loss.
Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Looks like a candidate for a gear "ring". Turn off the old teeth and Loctite 680 a ring on, cut the new teeth. Check its mate too, the gear the bad one runs against. Or is that it in the pics? They look like ideal candidates.
Thanks given by:
I know where to get an additional "bed" (not sure that is the correct term) for this. I believe the gentleman said that it is about 36" in length. He parted it out and only has the bed left.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Yes, it does look like the gears could be recut into a pressed on ring, If I'm not mistaken Atlas used a lot of die cast parts, the gear in question looks to be die cast in Pot metal (Mostly zinc) so a steel gear would last well against the opposing gear in zinc, even if the opposing gear is a little deformed from wear.

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Dear Mr Gruby,

I am officially jealous,
The beauty of starting with a lathe like this is that you really can do whatever you want with it, there is no way you can get flak for ruining a classic or not preserving patina or anything like that, If you want a taper turning attachment just build it, a live axis, toolpost grinder, dividing attachment, tee slot cross slide, qctp, literally anything you might want, just build it and fit it. Also, with a flat bed you can even make it into a dedicated line boring machine, or stand it on end and make it into a hobby sized slotter or gear shaper, why? why not? If you are so inclined forget all about repairing any of the feed mechanisms and just go straight to CNC.

I need to stop now or I'm going to end up with even more projects, but one last thing, If I had a flat bed lathe pulled down to this point I couldn't help but take it to the nearest shop with a big surface grinder and have them give the bed a lick, you'll need to scrape the carriage but this is pretty straight forward on a flat bed machine, or else "Moglice" it, I would definitely use Moglice given the choice, and before grinding the top if they're not already machined have the feet milled true to the bed ways it just makes it easier to keep it twist free later on, (here I go again)

Regards
Rick
Thanks given by: