4R8's "Round Thing" (rolled steel section yard feature)
Rolling this piece caused one of the standard dies to fail. The perimeter pieces were already complete so the dies had done a fair amount of work.
[Image: IMAG0646.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0329.jpg]

That gave me an opportunity to turn up a steel unit to replace the cast one that had given up.
[Image: IMAG0549.jpg]

The original idea was for a large, simple flower. 5 full petals with 5 part petals in between the full ones, if that makes sense?
after rolling the piece above for the center I decided the flower was not going to cut it. A challenge of both the machine use and my artistic abilities was in order. Here's what came about.

[Image: IMAG0642.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0657.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0659.jpg]
For reference on size, the above fence is 1.5m tall

For installation, i wasn't sure on how I wanted it to sit or where the supports should be situated. All I knew is I didn't want it flat.
Also that I like to (don't ask why) do things myself, I needed a way to get this in the air myself. I came up with the use of some pipe which i notched to allow the round thing to slide through while setting up and also hold it to the supports.
[Image: IMAG0686.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0688.jpg]

Once I was happy, I cemented the posts, trimmed them and added the top plates to allow it to be bolted, rather than welded
[Image: IMAG0699.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0698.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0697.jpg]

I'll put a couple of photos up in a few hours of the deck which now resides below later, They still need to be uploaded.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4R8's "Round Thing" (rolled steel section yard feature) - by 4R8 - 07-27-2012, 04:48 PM