BXA QCTP
(03-08-2012, 06:36 PM)EdAK Wrote: John,
I agree. Parting scares the bajeebas(?) out of me. I like your version of parting tool. I may have to watch ebay for a large insert parting tool to modify like you did.
Ed

Ed,

How will you heat it up and cool it slowly. Sometimes these insert holders are really hard and tough.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 06:46 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,

How will you heat it up and cool it slowly. Sometimes these insert holders are really hard and tough.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

I have no idea so it probably won't happen. Slaphead

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 07:27 PM)EdAK Wrote: Dave,
I have no idea so it probably won't happen. Slaphead
Ed

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Got my orders from both cdco + jeff this week. both orders were shipped promptly and packed well in a usps flat rate box. the toolholders from jeff @tools4cheap are a little larger + finished a little better with a better bluing job as well as the surface grinding was a little better. the screws + adj knurls pear to be of the same quality. the only thing wrong with the set from cdco is the dovetail on the cutoff toolholder seems to be cut a fraction too large as it barely tightens before the moveable side of the wedge touches the cross slide. I have sent e-mail to frank + will advise what he says. the toolpost from cdco is a nice piece and is well made finished excellent and works well. I am glad that I bought from both suppliers and also bought the morse taper holder + cutoff holder from jeff so I have one that works. both boring bar holder + the knurling tool from jeff and the ones from cdco are identical in both size + finish. If I were buying again I would probably buy ordinary holders from cdco but would prob buy the more specialized ones from tools4cheap. I hopes this helps but in choosing regular holders is a little better finish worth twice the price from jeff or as they are just a toolholder are the ones from cdco at half the price good enough, they are fior me.

I hope this works as "I tried 3 times yesterday that never got posted as I had a maleware problem. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 06:46 PM)DaveH Wrote: How will you heat it up and cool it slowly?

Use sand. Get an old sauce pan (do NOT use the wife's!), and some play sand. Sand you can get at any home store. Fill the pan deep enough to cover the holders plus another 2 inches or so. More sand is better than not enough.

Using some sort of burner - I use an electric one - heat the pan and sand. Just put it on high and leave it for a bit. Stirring might help, but I just leave it on high for half an hour or more. It might smoke a bit (impurities in the sand), so I do it outside.

Take a torch (propane will do) and heat the holders up. Get them as hot as you can. Plunge them into the sand, and leave for another half an hour. Keep the pan on the heat all this time. You want the holders burried in the sand, but not touching the bottom of the pan. Use a cover on the pan if you can.

After half an hour, turn off the heat. Leave the pan sitting there for a while. I usually try to do it in the morning, and not touch anything until the evening. I've used this successfully a couple of times. The key is to have the sand hot before you put the parts in, so it doesn't suck the heat out of the part and quench it.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2012, 08:38 AM)rleete Wrote:
(03-08-2012, 06:46 PM)DaveH Wrote: How will you heat it up and cool it slowly?

Use sand. Get an old sauce pan (do NOT use the wife's!), and some play sand. Sand you can get at any home store. Fill the pan deep enough to cover the holders plus another 2 inches or so. More sand is better than not enough.

Using some sort of burner - I use an electric one - heat the pan and sand. Just put it on high and leave it for a bit. Stirring might help, but I just leave it on high for half an hour or more. It might smoke a bit (impurities in the sand), so I do it outside.

Take a torch (propane will do) and heat the holders up. Get them as hot as you can. Plunge them into the sand, and leave for another half an hour. Keep the pan on the heat all this time. You want the holders burried in the sand, but not touching the bottom of the pan. Use a cover on the pan if you can.

After half an hour, turn off the heat. Leave the pan sitting there for a while. I usually try to do it in the morning, and not touch anything until the evening. I've used this successfully a couple of times. The key is to have the sand hot before you put the parts in, so it doesn't suck the heat out of the part and quench it.

rleete,

good idea. I like it! A kinda hot box setup, that one will defiantly go in my how to book. much easier to keep sand at a constant temp than air.

ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
rleete,

That's a clever idea, amazing how simple it can be, when you know how. SmileSmileSmile

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Here's mine,

I could never find the spanner, so got rid of the nut.

I used a thrust washer (bearing)

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Thanks given by:
(03-08-2012, 09:45 PM)TOM REED Wrote: Got my orders from both cdco + jeff this week. both orders were shipped promptly and packed well in a usps flat rate box. the toolholders from jeff @tools4cheap are a little larger + finished a little better with a better bluing job as well as the surface grinding was a little better. the screws + adj knurls pear to be of the same quality. the only thing wrong with the set from cdco is the dovetail on the cutoff toolholder seems to be cut a fraction too large as it barely tightens before the moveable side of the wedge touches the cross slide. I have sent e-mail to frank + will advise what he says. the toolpost from cdco is a nice piece and is well made finished excellent and works well. I am glad that I bought from both suppliers and also bought the morse taper holder + cutoff holder from jeff so I have one that works. both boring bar holder + the knurling tool from jeff and the ones from cdco are identical in both size + finish. If I were buying again I would probably buy ordinary holders from cdco but would prob buy the more specialized ones from tools4cheap. I hopes this helps but in choosing regular holders is a little better finish worth twice the price from jeff or as they are just a toolholder are the ones from cdco at half the price good enough, they are fior me.

I hope this works as "I tried 3 times yesterday that never got posted as I had a maleware problem. tom

You can't go wrong with the price of those tool holders although you may want to replace the set screws, they leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2012, 04:24 PM)B34VD Wrote: You can't go wrong with the price of those tool holders although you may want to replace the set screws, they leave a lot to be desired.
Agreed. I bought a dozen of the $8.00 CDCO holders and a box of set screws from McMaster-Carr and never looked back. They work just fine.
Willie
Thanks given by: