Hey TomG, I've got a project for ya.
Tom, you have the prints for the 1911? I ran across them a while back somewhere if you need them.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tony.

Yes, I have prints for the 1911, both the originals and reverse engineered versions. I also have the kuhnhausen books on the 1911 which are very informative. I've been tossing around the idea of making a frame out of aluminum and having it hard coated, but I'm not sure how it would feel to shoot with a higher C/G.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
That definitely would have a different feel to it. Even light loads would still feel "wrong". I suppose you could adjust to it, or there may be a way to balance it.

Are the RE drawings you have public domain, by any chance?
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2012, 05:24 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: That definitely would have a different feel to it. Even light loads would still feel "wrong". I suppose you could adjust to it, or there may be a way to balance it.

Are the RE drawings you have public domain, by any chance?

Tony,

There are a lot of alloy frames out there although neither Caspian or Les Baer seem to offer them any more. Perhaps they aren't holding up well with age. There are a few high stress areas that may take a beating in aluminum.

The reverse engineered drawings are called M1911-A1 Redux and they look something like this:

M1911-A1 REDUX

Tom
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2012, 10:41 AM)TomG Wrote: I've been tossing around the idea of making a frame out of aluminum and having it hard coated, but I'm not sure how it would feel to shoot with a higher C/G.

Tom

Make it a rimfire. Do up a new model Service Ace with a floating chamber. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
I think I have a chunk of Ti stashed out large enough for the frame and slide. Could buy the rest or bum some. Yet another project......sigh.
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2012, 10:28 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: I think I have a chunk of Ti stashed out large enough for the frame and slide. Could buy the rest or bum some. Yet another project......sigh.

Tony,

You could do the frame out of it if you were a glutton for punishment, but the slide needs to be hard (Rc50 I believe), especially where the barrel lugs engage.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2012, 07:46 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 10:41 AM)TomG Wrote: I've been tossing around the idea of making a frame out of aluminum and having it hard coated, but I'm not sure how it would feel to shoot with a higher C/G.

Tom

Make it a rimfire. Do up a new model Service Ace with a floating chamber. Thumbsup

Hmmm...maybe a half scale 1911 in .22 rimfire?
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2012, 01:53 PM)TomG Wrote: Hmmm...maybe a half scale 1911 in .22 rimfire?

Chin 6820 Cool Popcorn Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
I think 32 acp would be a better choice for a caliber.
Thanks given by: