CNCing my mini mill
I was trying to use a computer suppy but changed it out on the 5volt side for a 5 volt 9 amp supply that I have

the motors are

.pdf   KL23H286-20-08B.pdf (Size: 60.71 KB / Downloads: 8)

which for the size of the mill should be on the large size.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Hello Dallen,

I haven't checked your motor specs but I'm pretty sure 5V x 9 Amps isn't gonna lift the milling head it's only 45 watts (1/17th of a Horsepower) worth of power and that's not very much, do you have a counterbalance system on the head to account for the weight?

I think you mentioned a 12V x 36 Amp power supply previously now that is nearer 2/3rds of a hp and will get things moving.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
I been working on this off and one for a while now, looks like I may be close to actually telling it to run a program and make some parts

http://youtu.be/EGTGLDmqxUM

DA

Thanks given by:
worked on the mill some yesterday, still trying to work out the speeds on the table, will probably try to mount some of the limit switches I need today, have to make some cover/holders for them.

heres were I was at yesterday

[Image: th_20100814200504.jpg]

Thanks given by:
I'm planing on changing the screws in my mini mill table to ball screws to get faster movements from the stepper motors. So I figured I would mount the motor directly onto the table which cause me to need a new table endplate.

I actually used the mill to cut the pattern with off of some code that I created, only big problem with the pattern is the center hole isn't round due to backlash in the Y Axis Screw which I will deal with here in a couple weeks when I get the Ball Screw Nuts and the other piece of Screw I need.

Anyway the casting.

Thanks given by:
David,

That casting looks like it turned out quite well. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
It did Ed, the first one had a couple of pretty good size shrink spots in it, they milled off ok without loosing to much in thickness. The shrinkage on the first casting was caused by me not cutting the gate and runner deep enough for the part to feed as it cooled off.

DA

Thanks given by:
I'd love to try casting at some point. Maybe when I retire.

Ed
Thanks given by:
only way you will find out if you like doing it is to find someone that does it and give it a try. I wish that the last time I was up that way that I would of stop by one of the industrial suppliers there in Minneapolis and picked up a bag of petrobond powder would of been enough to last me a long time.

the horse that I am trying to ride now is this new Cad Cam program that I bought which is about to drive me right up the wall. Heres a screen shot of hopefully a wheel for the mower deck on my lawnmower. Don't laugh to hard I'm no Artist like some.

Thanks given by:
David,
What is your new Cad Cam programme called?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: