Spindle Tach
Believe me I am not associated in any way with these suppliers but it sure would be interesting to know how many pick one or two of these up bwcause of this thread.
ED you will be impressed at how well it works, even just to verify your mactach!!! tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Tom, you can count me as one because I bought one a couple of years ago because of the same kind of thread on another forum. I know several other folks followed suit as well. They are so versatile you can't beat it for the price.
Willie
Thanks given by:
I won't need it to verify the MachTach because I helped the designer test/verify the design so I know it's capabilities but it will be nice to have a non-contact tach available to use for all kinds of miscellaneous rotary measurements.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2012, 10:36 AM)TOM REED Wrote: Believe me I am not associated in any way with these suppliers but it sure would be interesting to know how many pick one or two of these up because of this thread.
ED you will be impressed at how well it works, even just to verify your mactach!!! tom

Guys,
I'm the designer of the MachTach and I bought one of these inexpensive handheld tachs to verify my design. They work great and it does give the same RPM as the MachTach.

The inexpensive ones work well. Here are a few things to be aware of:
1. They only work with one patch so they tend to have jittery readings although it is more than good enough for machine tool speed checks. This may also be a function of how well you can hold the beam on the patch.
2. They don't have a SFM feature which the MachTach and Tachulator have. SFM is especially useful when machining SS or controlling finish.
3. They are not as convenient as having something built into the machine.
However you can't beat the price and being able to use it on any machine is a great advantage. If you run out of the silver tape, you can use silver reflective tape from your auto supply store. That is also what the MachTach uses.

Henry Arnold
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by: