Spindle Tach
It is pretty simple to set up a bicycle speedometer of the battery powered and magnetic pickup type these often have a scaling function that will allow adjustment to suit your installation and they cost peanuts.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
I will try to post the link to the tach that I have, nice thing it can be used to measure the speed of anything. I am not sure this is the supplier that I bought from but the one I bid on I think I got for lessthan $10.00 with free shipping, I have used it to check the speed of several of my tools and it works very well. I don't think anything else I have seen can beat the price. The mactach is committed to a single machine at one time, this is very versatile. tom

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Digital-Photo...5ad533400b
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Any handheld Infra red or laser tacho would do the job, I've had a few over the years they didn't used to be cheap, but are all over Ebay now for less than £10 they often require a piece of reflective tape to be attached to the spindle.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
I have one of the hand held laser tachs as well. But I prefer a dedicated tach on the machine because
(a) it's hands free and I can keep them on the controls of the machine - and
(b) I don't have search through a drawer somewhere to find it when I need it.

Rotfl

The hand-held tachs can't be beat though when you are on the move at different locations. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
The dedicated ones also give you RPMs and SFM at the touch of a switch. YMMV Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-28-2012, 11:49 AM)EdK Wrote: The dedicated ones also give you RPMs and SFM at the touch of a switch. YMMV Big Grin

Ed

True THAT! Big Grin

One thing I will say about both types, is that I can set the speed on my lathe at any RPM and both tachs AGREE with each other!

225 RPM
371 RPM
928 RPM
1153 RPM....

It doesn't matter. They are always exactly the same. Pretty impressive in my mind for some rather "inexpensive" electronics. Worthy
Willie
Thanks given by:
Here is a link to the same tach that I have they list 10,000 avail on e-bay for $14.23 USD with free International shipping I do not know anyone that can't afford one even if you have a MACTACH dedicated to one machine this can be used for anything from your live steam engine to your lawnmower or weedeater. For me it's a no brainer. tom

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Digital-Laser...51a01f1ab1

another link for $12.47 USD but they only have 14 avail go figure http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-Laser-Pho...46064ae2da
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
That's the one I was looking at too,
At that sort of money you could buy one for each machine and make a bracket to hold it in a suitable position and simply press the button when you need the speed read, the laser ones have a fair bit of range too so the bracket might be on a chip guard or even a nearby shelf or wall, I used to have a "visible light" style that would work at a distance of about two feet.

I am thinking of buying one of these despite already having a professional unit, why risk damaging my professional tools that I make a living out of when for 99% of home jobs a £10 unit will do the job, maybe even better as it's easier to use.

Rick
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2012, 10:11 PM)TOM REED Wrote: Here is a link to the same tach that I have they list 10,000 avail on e-bay for $14.23 USD with free International shipping I do not know anyone that can't afford one even if you have a MACTACH dedicated to one machine this can be used for anything from your live steam engine to your lawnmower or weedeater. For me it's a no brainer. tom

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Digital-Laser...51a01f1ab1

another link for $12.47 USD but they only have 14 avail go figure http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-Laser-Pho...46064ae2da

Well Tom, you talked me into it. $13.35 later and I've got one on the way. I don't know how they can make any money at that price including shipping but they must. More power to them.

Ed
Thanks given by:
It probably costs them 25 cents to make those in China. Chin

I just ordered a voltage panel meter from Hong Kong that cost me $6.86 with shipping included. For a similar item made in the US the cost for the part alone starts at $150.00 and UP. Plus another 10-12 dollars for shipping.

Granted it's not the same quality, but for a $25 project I sure don't need $160 worth of meter! Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by: