Shaper toolholders
Video 
Hello everyone here, a tool that I make for my filer metals it goes very well and it is not very hard was realized, the corp is made from pieces of a steel section 40x20mm, and head is realize in a sketch of 60mm diameter, all being welded then the parts as remanufactured, I attached video of the whole, well ordialement thierry http://youtu.be/BR7TfL-zMZA
Thanks given by:
Thierry,
Nice video Thumbsup Worthy
Just wondering if you have a couple of photo's of that tool holder you made.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(08-17-2012, 07:44 AM)DaveH Wrote: Thierry,
Nice video Thumbsup Worthy
Just wondering if you have a couple of photo's of that tool holder you made.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Ditto! I really like that tool holder as well.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Hello again everybody, here are some pictures of loutils during its machining, I will make more photos of my temp, good weekend to all cordially thierry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Great work marduk, I'd love to make one for my shaper (If I hadn't broken it, SOB!)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
really thank you for your comments, good day, cordially
Thanks given by:
Thierry,
Looking good, nicely made Thumbsup Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(08-13-2012, 07:02 AM)TomG Wrote: You can use lathe tool holders on the shaper but they must be the ones for carbide bits. Those will have 0º back rake.

Hello All.

I don't want to single anybody out but I've used this quote to simply ask the question, why are so many people hung up on the idea of shaping tool holders being different to lathe toolholders, and the idea of not using back rake on tools, I have been using the same tool holders on my big lathes and shapers for twenty+ years without drama, am I missing something?

I was taught that while reduced front tool clearance will make a shaper tool stronger so better able to withstand the interupted cut which is inevitable, one needs to understand that in all but very large diameter turning, the added clearance gained in turning round work usually more than doubles the available clearance when turning, as this is not the case when shaping planing or slotting one must maintain the standard minimum front clearance of 7 degrees as with lathe tool grinding, once again it has always worked for me,

I am so happy with the tool interchangability between my lathes and shapers/slotters that I have never considered that there could be substantial differences. As a result when I decided to make my new QCTP setup that would be standardised across all of my lathes I also decided to fit the same post to my Shaper, the idea being that all of the tools from knurling, parting, turning, planing and forming to toolpost grinding, live milling, slotting, graduating and drilling attachments and all will be available and set to centre height at a seconds notice on all machines, my plan is to set them all up on a shadow boarded trolley to wheel from machine to machine, with one last feature; a setting jig to ensure perfect centre height set up on the table rather than on any of the individual machines, each of the machines is to have the "register surface" accurately machined to a standard height below true centre height. (of course centre height does not matter on the shaper)

So once again am I missing something? As you can imagine going to all this trouble just to find out that after twenty years I've got it wrong is a bit of a worryBlush

And yes there will be a thread on this QCTP project, how could I not ?

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
That's OK Rick, I've been singled out before. Sweat

When you brought that up, I have to admit that I had no idea why shaper tool holders have no rake. So to see if I was in fact talking through my hat, I went back and dusted off a few of my old text books and while all of them showed shaper tool holders with no rake, NONE of them explained why. I guess I'll need to dig a bit deeper unless someone else can shed some light on the subject. There has to be a reason, unless the rule was written by the same guy who said that compound rests need to be set at 27º to cut threads (which I don't agree with, but that's material for another thread).

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
It was explained to me that a toolholder with positive back rack can "dig in" on a shaper. On a lathe with the tool properly centered the "dig in" danger is reduced as the work piece, being round and turning recedes from the "digging in" tool the more it digs in.
It makes sense to me and working with my old Havir "Shape-Rite" 7 inch machine and it's less than robust size a "dig in" could be catastrophic.
Rick, I'm sure your skills & experience would not lead to a "dig in" incident, but some of us need to put the odds in our favor.
The irony is, that is not how I broke my shaper Bawling
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: