Todays Project - What did you do today?
Last fabricated parts for this project...I think.
The center pin the table spins on was welded onto the bracket underneath, and I didnt figure that out till I drilled one out Blush .
It was just an ugly slotted screw anyway.
Made new ones out of a couple rusty old brake caliper bolts (dont throw anything away!!!). Single pointed the threads. I love threading with the Hardinge.

Hopefully pics of finished project coming soon. But its getting nice out, so yard work and car shows are calling.
Retired old guy finally living the dream and enjoying life to the fullest!!!
Thanks given by:
I think I'm calling these done. Sprayed the rolling surfaces and ball bearings with a dry TFE lubricant so grease wont attract dirt.  
The left side one has extra holes cause when I got them, they were both rights so I had to redrill to make it a left. now that I see them done, I think I need to drill extra holes in the right or I'll go crazy.
You can see why I wanted to blacken the aluminum bits. IDK, maybe the contrast is OK...suppose it will have to be Big Grin

Before

Retired old guy finally living the dream and enjoying life to the fullest!!!
Thanks given by:
Nice job! Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by: rubes
I saw a video a while back for a chisel sharpening system that uses 3M Cubitron sandpaper mounted in a drill press.  

This Woodworking Jig Will Change Tool Sharpening Forever! (youtube.com)

Being that I hate to sharpen chisels, I decided to try it.  But they wanted $17 a pop for 2 acrylic discs and two arbors.  Uh, no thanks.  I have some drops of 12L14 I bought a while back for making a rotary broach (which still isn't made, go figure), and one piece was enough for 2 mandrels.

The stuff cuts much easier than plain cold rolled, which is important for me with my small lathe.    Believe it or not, this is the finish I got straight off the lathe with no filing or sandpaper.  As you can see on the larger end, I did get some serious chatter before I figured out to crank up the speed.  But I'm happy with how it turned out. BTW, that taper was cut freehand, because I'm too lazy to set the compound.

Then I rough cut some 2024 Ali plate for the disc.  Mounted it on the mandrel and turned the outside edge.  Man, did it sing!  Loud enough that I considered finding some earplugs, but it cut fast enough that I didn't bother.

Next step is to make the jig to use in the drill press, which holds the chisel at the correct angle for consistent results.  I'll be making that out of PVC instead of wood, as I really like working with it, and still have plenty of scraps on hand.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by: