Todays Project - What did you do today?
Having conceded defeat in my Babington burner build, I made the decision to go a different route and use a commercial oil burning tip. The main reason I favoured the Babington design was that the oil never passed through a jet, so there was no nozzle to block.

Waste oil is free but not clean, so I decided to cannibalise the oil pump assembly I had and set it up so it will pump oil from the 200L drum that I will use as a main repository, through an engine oil filter and into a 20L drum that I will use to fuel the burner. I got the frame welded up as well as the pump and the motor fitted. Ignore the wiring, as this was just to test. I need a shorter belt too.

Once finished, it will reside in the corner of the shop out of the way.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Looking good Darren. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Darren,

I assume you are using motor oil, or do you use vegetable oil as well? And where do you find enough to burn?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Darren, its wasn't defeat, you proved to the world they don't work as well as others claim.
Are you going to use the complete oil burner, as in the ones used in home heating furnaces and water heaters? I've thought about using one but never could find a flame temperature, they rate them at heat output but never temp.
Remember reading about using toilet paper rolls to filter oil, cheap elements.
Keep us informed.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Tom - I plan on using waste motor oil, which is free here as garages have to pay to have their wast oil removed. So I just drop a 20L drum off and pick it up a few days later. I've got free oil and the garage owner hasn't had to pay a cent.

Thanks Greg. It is particularly annoying as I have the Babington burner working when it was just cobbled together with stands and clamps.

This is the burner I am going to build. I've seen other videos of them in use but this one actually shows the details. I picked up the siphon nozzle and adaptor whilst I was in the US in September but I haven't found the time to put it all together yet. I'll start a thread once I get serious with it Big Grin

Edit: to fix a typo
Thanks given by:
that spin vane is sort of a bear to make, I do em a little differently now.

[Image: dougs-burner.jpg]
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I am still figuring out how best way to make one Dave. Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
I have a picture somewhere but can't find it at the moment, let me pull the gun out of my burner tomorrow and I'll take a couple photos and sent em to you that should explain what to do. no sense in reinventing the wheel.

Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks Dave, that will be a big help.

One other question: is there a particular length and diameter of pipe that works best to house the assembly?
Thanks given by:
when I started making this type burner I used 2" sch 40 pipe, thats the smallest diameter that the nozzle will center up in. you can use any size IE 2.5, 3, or 4 inch pipe.

the length is more or less what you want to make it, I make the straight run of pipe that the nozzle is in about 12 to 14 inches long so I have run to cut the line for the blower into the side of it. Thats not saying that you can't run the nozzle lines out the side of the pipe and put the blower straight inline. the only thing that is really locked in stone is the nozzle tip needs to be about .5 to .75 inches back inside the tube.

that photo above was SVSeekers burner.

DA

Thanks given by: Mayhem