Todays Project - What did you do today?
A cylindrical square has been on the list for some time. Decided one would be great for reference when checking the fixed jaw on the shaper vice.
Had a 6 inch piece of 3 1/2 dia heat treated 4140. Held it in the 3 jaw and recessed the ends and centre drilled. Needed a way to drive it so drilled and threaded the end for a 1/2 inch stud to mate into the drive plate of the lathe, a set screw will plug the hole now.
Turned between centres, using a honed brazed carbide cutter for the final passes. Can't measure any taper with a regular mic, only have 1/10th pics up to 3 inch. Faced the narrow outer edge left after recessing the middle.
[Image: N5BCqhW6MXb3oOKHGgKE5VCvITGKYd0-D5aaoSEy...47-h729-no]

The .0005 test indicator shows less than a 1/2 division variance as I go around the cylinder. Good enough for the girls I go out with.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Graemlin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2017, 03:24 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 05:50 PM)TomG Wrote: I bought a couple to try out, but they weren't as bright a the T8's I just put in. What kind did you guys use?

Tom

15% off sale right now. Just saying...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/?utm_sou...0c70263219

Have a 4ft, 6 bulb fixture mounted high and close to the ceiling, between rafters. With the garage door open it is covers 70% of the fixture. For that reason thought there could be excessive heat built and toasted, not at the same time, both ballast, install a separate off/on switch, and go down the road.

This summer replaced the ballast in a 4ft, 6 bulb fixture now over the work bench. Here we are just into winter look up and see a bulb burned out.  Second one I found this week, but in a different fixture....

While having a nice big slice of humble pie and coffee. It dawns on me, futzing around with lighting way to much.

What to do ... use highpower's link ? pondered that for a day.... What the hell not thrilled with the T8 as they are, ordered 30 tubes.

@ Tom the T8 led comes in warm, natural and cool

Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
I have a nice Starrett back plunger dial indicator set, complete with a bar to clamp into a tool holder. Its threaded to accept the 5/16 rods the set uses. The bar is small for the shaper lantern so I thought I'd make a 5/8 x 1 3/8 one and thread the end or the Starrrett rods. Not so. They use a proprietary thread, somewhere between 10-28 and 1/4-28. Had to make a new rod with 1/4 -28 threaded end.
[Image: wFcVyZ_uvapb3xyIKwZAS_IynVgfaktE_U-Qu6su...45-h634-no]
Greg
Thanks given by:
I rewired the tractor today, hooked up the throttle linkages and stop cable and DROVE the thing out of my shed. Still plenty to do on the beast but it was nice to get it outside and sweep the floor!

Once I had the tractor outside and the floor swept, I gave myself a Christmas present by spending some time on a project I actually WANT to be doing!
This is one that got a fair few hours spent on it earlier this year, then had to be shelved for a while. With the arrival of my surface plate, along with finally getting a diamond for the tangental wheel dresser, I was able to ensure the sides of the base were parallel (they weren't but they are now!), dress a wheel at 45 degrees and grind the vee by working on alternate sides with an edge of the base against the back fence on the mag chuck.

I checked this 1" arbor in the vees, flat to within .002mm, or roughly .0001".  Thumbsup It never ceases to amaze me what an unskilled amateur can achieve with the right equipment.

This photo might give a clue as to what this device will be for.

Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Nice job Pete!
Bet it 's good to see her back on her feet.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Pete, have to say your rapidly loosing your "Unskilled amateur" status.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs064
Willie
Thanks given by:
That is a nice looking piece of tooling and I fully agree, your amateur status has passed.
Thanks given by:
Pete: Your "Unskilled Amateur" status has been revoked! And I just got the 5000th post in this topic!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: