Todays Project - What did you do today?
Gee Pete - you went in hard for a first gear cutting project!
Great work :)

Steve
Thanks given by:
Those look great Pete. Great first attempt.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Amazing, Pete !
Worthy
Thanks given by:
Did some machining today (metal) for the first time since I retired and it felt pretty good. I made a 3" extension for the column, to increase the capacity under the blade guides. I needed a full 8" when I was making the rocking chair and it only had 6". I had planned on welding up a box out of steel plate, but only had 3/8" on hand which would have been extreme overkill, so I milled a solid block out of aluminum (plenty of that on hand). It has a 1" hole through the middle for the bolt, and a couple of 1/4" dowel pins for location. I still have to make it gray.

[Image: 20180304_1615571.jpg]

I also ordered the pulleys and belts needed to enable the high speed capability of the saw. Those parts were missing on the saw and I never got around to chasing them down. It has a two speed transmission that provides for four low speeds and a direct drive setting for high speed.

Finally, I started designing a fence for the saw, because I always thought it would be a nice accessory. It will be a simple 1/2"x1 1/4" bar mounted to the table with a sliding block with a T slot on the back to attach the fence to. I'm playing with the design to try and keep the bar as short as possible and still allow the fence to get close to the throat of the saw. Not sure if a fence was ever offered by Delta, but there are tapped holes in the front of the table.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom,

My Rockwell/Delta has a fence that slides on brackets that bolts to the table bosses
jack
Thanks given by:
Got a pic, Jack?
Thanks given by:
Thats the same saw I have Tom. I need a fence too.
I've never used it direct drive either.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Started planting the garden.
Planted 30 hot pepper plants and 30 tomato plants. Once sprouted they go under a grow light then out to the green house early April.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Tom,

here are some pictures of the Rockwell/Delta bandsaw's fence

The last picture shows the drive system, there are 4 metal speeds and by turning the knob in the center of the large pulley, it disengages the drive clutch, that engages for wood.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

jack
Thanks given by:
Thanks Jack. That's the first I've seen a fence like that, so it must not have been a common option. Mine is going to be like the setup on DoAll saws, where it all mounts on the near side of the table. Hopefully it'll be sturdy enough for a table so small.

What is the knob thingy on the high speed pulley shaft? I understand that pulley takes a 60" belt in the direct drive mode.

Tom
Thanks given by: