Todays Project - What did you do today?
(08-26-2012, 07:21 PM)DanH Wrote: It's for the z-axis on my RF-45 clone mill. I am doing a similar install to Henry's but adapted to fit with my motor. I will do a full writeup when it's done.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the welds. This is where the Tig really shines as it gives you such great control. I still burned through at the corners but it was great practice. I have to do another box for the up/down switch and speed control dial which i will share later.

place the box so that the corner can be welded downhill, find you some scraps to practice on, no longer then that seam is you should be able to apply some filler at the top and drag in all the way to the end of the joint.

my motto with welding is no sense in putting it on if you gotta rub it back off (I hate grinders)
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(08-27-2012, 08:14 AM)dallen Wrote:
(08-26-2012, 07:21 PM)DanH Wrote: It's for the z-axis on my RF-45 clone mill. I am doing a similar install to Henry's but adapted to fit with my motor. I will do a full writeup when it's done.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the welds. This is where the Tig really shines as it gives you such great control. I still burned through at the corners but it was great practice. I have to do another box for the up/down switch and speed control dial which i will share later.

place the box so that the corner can be welded downhill, find you some scraps to practice on, no longer then that seam is you should be able to apply some filler at the top and drag in all the way to the end of the joint.

my motto with welding is no sense in putting it on if you gotta rub it back off (I hate grinders)

I'll try that tonight on the last seam.6799

Sometimes that grinder can be your best friendRotfl
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Been busy on the sawmill and making the shingle attachment for it.
Thought this was interesting, Apple, I've never seen it sawed before, really interesting wood.

[Image: IMG_0128.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
That apple sure is some beautiful wood. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
been wanting something besides a plastic box to put my ER16 collet chuck and collet in's, and I didn't want something with straight sided holes in it thats too easy.

So I made up a cutter actually made two of them the first one I messed up and got it too small in diameter.

Anyway heres the picture, I plan to harden the cutter so I can use it to cut pockets in a hunk of oak which will be a lot nicer looking then the plastic I used today.

dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Nice, I kind of like the plastic, it can't pick up humidity and cause rust.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
DA,

That looks quite smart, save the Oak for another project Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I like hardwood especially the type :I get for free, I get from one of my local truck dealers the odd bunking timber that they use when shipping new trucks, they are about 6x8 inches and 4 feet long, some are oak, ash, hickory or some other mystery wood that I don't know but 2 of them across thew frame support the weight of the front of a big truck across the country and they are free. I have used them for many things including a stock I made for a benchrest rifle (some of them even have a very nice grain). They make nice blocks for across the ways when removing a chuck. A little work with a carbide blade and they can be made into many useful items. I have thought of making a similar cutter to make blocks for my ER40 collets. Now another project on the to do list,
I don't think I will live long enpugh to get everything done. tom

BY THE WAY VERY NICE BLOCK.
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(08-31-2012, 02:30 PM)TOM REED Wrote: I don't think I will live long enough to get everything done. tom

BY THE WAY VERY NICE BLOCK.

I think that applies to the majority of us Tom. Smiley-eatdrink004

I suppose if you put a good finish on your rack and seal the grain it should keep any moisture in the wood off of your collets.

Nice job on the cutter. It looks downright angry, and ready to chew up anything in its path. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Another option is to make your block out of the oak and make some inserts for the collets out of the plastic and make them a light press fit into the oak. I think that would look very nice.

Ed
Thanks given by: