Todays Project - What did you do today?
Maybe take the blade off your band saw, cut a couple small v-grooves in the wheels and wrap a length of abrasive cord around them? Invent the worlds first powered cord sander. Big Grin

Those are some tight spots you need to get into. Blink
Willie
Thanks given by:
Two words: Belt sander.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Yeah I have a belt sander / grinder, not a particularly versatile type although it is a very robust Australian-made industrial machine; I have the plans and have been gathering materials for the Jeremy Schmidt 2x72" and it will be interesting (if I ever get around to the build) to see if it renders the disc sander obsolete, I don't think it will as the big contact area on the disc can be very handy, I've certainly not yet regretted building it.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Finished all the posts, beams and sill plates. Still need to saw material for the corner braces and whittle them out.

[Image: GDrPUJ1IT3vZU6jYVIvTqS0cbrCOU3e_fSOGpA7L...authuser=0]

[Image: ooK3x-Q0AVWnNg0QwjoREXLZGqueLGq4tzYxGavP...authuser=0]

Now have a mountain of shavings to clear out of the shop.

Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
That's a lot of whittling, Greg. Are these logs seasoned, or green, or somewhere in between?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Pretty green Tom. Some of the logs were from trees that went down in a small tornado 3 years ago. Surprisingly they were fine after laying on the ground all that time, but didn't dry very much. The main beams were cut from trees cut down the end of March, they're real fresh.
Have used green timbers before, expect the joints tighten up as they dry. Can't imagine how long a timber would have to air dry. Guessing 4 or 5 years.

Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
When I lived in Oklahoma I heard of a procedure to frame a house/building with green oak that would still be relatively plumb after it dried. I never inquired about it so I don't know what they did.
Thanks given by:
I guess green wood furniture makers rely on the joints tightening as the wood dries, so it should be the same on larger pieces. Hopefully they won't crack.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I have made a master disk for indexing the gears on the dark lady clock , quite a few builders are wanting to use simple lathes . and more interestingly vintage machines that do not have any provision for indexing. 
The disk will be available as a pass around tool , the only cost being postage.
Brian  Smiley-dancenana
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:

Photo of the disk did not attach so i have reduced it, maybe it will work now.
Brian  Smiley-dancenana
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by: