When you know you messed up.
Thirty-five years of playing with sharp objects, and luckily still have all my digits.

They are, however, heavily scarred from similar incidents. Glad you're going o be OK Nelson!
Thanks given by:
My "gotcha" moment was working in an automobile repair shop at the end of the day. I was finished working and had already cleaned up and changed clothes, put on my watch and wedding ring, (I don't wear them when working) and was ready to walk out the door when the boss stopped me. As usual someone had come in after closing with an "emergency", and needed a new battery right away.

So I was elected to "quickly" install the new battery. I just grabbed a couple of tools and went at it. Had the new battery in and was collecting up the tools when one of the wrenches fell down between the battery tray and the front fender of the vehicle. Without thinking I just stuck my hand in to grab the wrench, and suddenly got an intense pain in my wrist.
The positive battery terminal sits right next to the front fender on that vehicle. (Thank you Ford Motor Company....) Rant Rant Rant

I forgot that I had already "dressed" to go home and guess where my nice stainless steel watchband ended up? Bash

So now I've got what used to be a nice wrist watch, that has a movement that is completely welded together, and a wrist with second degree burns and blisters that took two months to heal. Lesson learned....
Willie
Thanks given by:
Well I back. It has not been fun and the finger is not 100% but I can live with my limitations. The finger healed real well, so they started rehab, I think a little bit too soon. But who am I after doing such a stupid thing. The finger has some scar tissue and the tip of the finger will not bend on its own. I can live with it and with the damage done to it, I will remember there is always a tomorrow. I want to thank each and every one for the kind words, you have been so supportive and now a have a great respect for what the machines can do. If they are going to remove layers off metal, they can remove body parts easier. Again thanks for the kind words.
Nelson Collar
BashSlaphead Thank You

Now it time to get to work, carefully.
Thanks given by:
Welcome back Nelson. Good to hear you're going to be fine and can continue with your metalworking hobby.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Welcome back Nelson, glad to hear you are on the mend.

Willie: You bring up a good point why we should never wear rings. Back in the days when I didn't know any better I nearly lost my ring finger while push starting a guy's MG. When it started, my wedding ring caught on one of the studs for the tonneau cover and it could have easily removed my finger. Luckily I was able to free it as the car pulled away. It still ripped the heck out of the skin on my finger and I haven't worn a ring of any kind since. I placed the ring in my tool chest for safe keeping and that's where it remains to this day.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I won't wear a ring either, I'm on my second wife and neither has objected.
Anyway , If I did wear a ring most women would think "he's faking, he's much to ugly to actually be married".
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I was cured of wearing a ring while working after going through tech school in the USAF. We were shown all kinds of (very graphic) color pictures of injuries that were treated in various base hospitals that resulted from jewelry getting snagged on something. We saw fingers that were peeled clean to the bone all the way up to the third knuckle. One poor soul tripped going down a loading ramp and tried to grab the hand rail, only to get his wedding ring hooked on a fastener. Gravity did the rest. Sadno

The rule on base was NO jewelery was allowed when working. The only exception given was for wedding rings - but if you decided to wear it, it HAD to be completely wrapped in tape along with the finger.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Welcome back Nelson, glad you are on the mend. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I am going to upload some pictures of my friend after he pulled his finger end off on my milling machine
He was only drilling a 6 mill hole but he was wearing gloves
Look a these pictures
Not nice but this is what happens in a split second
Thanks given by:
[Image: Millingmachineblunder003.jpg]

[Image: Millingmachineblunder002.jpg]

[Image: Millingmachineblunder001.jpg]
Thanks given by: