DTI refurb
hi not posted in a wile so her we go i was given a DTI gage and i got one from the boot sale for £1 the one from the boot sale witch is the whit one apart from needing a new stiles its in OK order the other one is well hammed as can be seen in the pic i striped it dawn and gave it a good clean you can see the muck in the tub after the clean i cleaned the dile itself with wame water and Cotton buds i made a new lens out of sum clear plastic and reaped one stiles by silver soldering a new end on and shaping it and i made a new one all together out of sum 2.5 stainless rod i drilled the end to fit sum threaded rod in i don.t no if the thread is mm or inch but i have sum brass screws which is the same thread right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Very nicely done Bob. I know where to send mine if I ever abuse it!

How is the new job???
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
That new stylus is NICE! Definitely looking good. I don't like the yellow background, it seems like it would be hard to read...perhaps it is just the way the pictures turned out though.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
You must have much steadier hands than mine, Bob! Big Grin

That thread's probably an 8BA if it's tiny and in an English DTI?

Was the new "glass" you made flat or domed? I've got a Trav-A-Dial off Ebay (V. cheap, and works fine) missing the glass, but it's domed and about 2-1/2", need to make another for it before I can bolt it on or it'll fill up with swarf!

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
hi all thanks for the comments yep the dile is yellow right the lens was domed so i made the new lens out of two peaces of perspex i ruffle cut out two peaces of perspex one was the linse its self the other one will form a for a way to put it a washer i i curved both sides of the perspex with masking tape then i mounted sum plastic stock in me lathe chuck on one side of the perspex i put sum double sided tape on this was then stuck to the plastic in the chuck cut dawn the outer diameter to fit in to the Bessel of the clock then put me parting off blade in face on to the work and cut the center out leaving me with a 2mm thick ring the lens was cut just bigger than the Bessel removed the masking tape of one side and then the ring was gulled to it left over night to let the glue harden machined dawn the plastic in the chuck so it was a snug fit in side the ring with double sided tape the new lens was mounted on to it and the out side edge was direst dawn and shaped then all bufft up with brasso
Thanks given by:
Bob,

Good job ThumbsupWorthy

Wouldn't mind a look at the finish one Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
ups SOS i thought i posted a pic of it finished

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Beautiful job Bob! Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Bob,
Very nice, you did a good job with the lens ThumbsupWorthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Bob, I've worked with acrylic and polycarbonte and found it very difficult to polish to glass like clarity. Tell us more about "Brasso". Please?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: