1945 Craftsman Info needed
I have been wondering what the spindle bore is on the lathe I purchased and I haven't been able to come up with anything. I tried to buy a CD that was chalk full of info for these old suckers as it was only $25 but the transaction just wasn't working out.

I have read that the spindle bore was 3/4" but I'm only certain that that was for the 8" model. I had someone tell me that it was over 1" but I don't remember the exact size.

Here is what the original ad said: "Craftsman / Atlas metal lathe 1945 Mod. # 101.07403 Ser.# 14930 12” SWING 24” BETWEEN CENTERS
The lathe is in very good condition, it still wears the original paint. I’m the second owner.
Everything is in working order and it runs smooth. The head stock Timken roller bearings have been replaced a few years ago. The machine has been used for light hobby use only. The bed ways are in very good condition.
It comes with a well-made bench with one drawer and lower self. Also a custom made wall cabinet that stores all the included tooling.

Tooling included. /

3 jaw buck chuck , 4 jaw chuck , steady rest , follow rest, 3 Jacob drill chucks, rocker tool post holder, LH tool holder, RH holder, knurling tool, threading tool, straight tool holder, heavy duty live center, dead center, center adapters, tail stock V center, boring bar holder, 6” & 8” face plates with dogs, head stock tread protector, milling attachment with draw bar end mill holder, change gear set, original oiling chart poster, manual book, Phase II quick change tool post holder set, old 6” chuck , misc. small items and any other stuff I may have over looked.

The lathe is ready for work needs nothing. I’m selling it because I have recently gotten another lathe and need the room."

Here is a picture of the lathe.

SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Elijah,

I would join this Yahoo group which is specific to your lathe and post your question there. You'll likely get a response reasonably quick.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'm trying Ed, and it may yet work, but these military computers REALLY don't like Yahoo for some reason. It seems to be a big page to load and that doesn't work well with a slow internet connection. Sadno
Thanks given by:
Measure it with a tape measure or ruler from the back (left end) of the headstock. It refers to the largest size shaft that can completely pass through the headstock. Best guess is 3/4" without seeing it. Might be some info on http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/index.html
Thanks given by:
He'll need a long tape measure to reach from Afghanistan Rotfl
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I'm currently deployed and haven't actually touched the lathe. I can have my dad measure it once he receives it. I read that site and it says that the spindle bore for the 10" is 3/4" but it doesn't say specifically for the 12" models.

Well I finally got Yahoo to work well enough that I could apply to join the group. Hopefully it will work! Would sure be nice to get some more info on this ol' thing!! Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
I'm, sadly, betting that the spindle bore is 3/4 " based on the Atlas that I had. I tried to look through <http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html> but there was toooo much print that was too small for my ole eyes.
Maybe your young eyes might find it there.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2012, 04:01 PM)stevec Wrote: I'm, sadly, betting that the spindle bore is 3/4 " based on the Atlas that I had. I tried to look through <http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html> but there was toooo much print that was too small for my ole eyes.
Maybe your young eyes might find it there.

I perused that web site quite thoroughly and could not find anything about the bore of the spindle for a 12" swing lathe. I believe it has a MT3 taper so 3/4" would be a good bet.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'm thinking you guys are probably right. I will hold out hope that it is bigger but my guess is that it is the same 3/4" as the 10" so that you can use MT #3 collets in it. Chin
Thanks given by:
The 10" and 12" spindles have the same part number for the Timken-equipped lathes. Specs say 25/32" spindle bore.
Regards,
Bob
bobm4360, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: Highpower , SnailPowered