Deciding on a tool
OK, that is a horse of a different color. Probably not what most of us had in mind considering your question.

I'm not at all familiar with the capability of your machine and that set up, but I'm sure one of the pro's in the group will be along to give you an idea of a good depth of cut to use.
Willie
Thanks given by:
OK, I can accept that. Are there different terms I should have used to be more clear, or should I have just started with the pictures?

I do a lot of forum surfing from my iPad. I need to go to the office to the computer, to find and insert pictures!
Thanks given by:
Pictures always help. Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yes, pictures are good.

Here's what I was referring to about side cutting vs. end cutting (or center cutting) end mills.

Tom

[Image: 41IaA7j-TzL.jpg]

[Image: 82576_R.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2012, 09:10 AM)Wawoodman Wrote: Willie,
I have a Rockwell vertical mill. "End mill" is what I mean when I refer to what you have pictured. "Side mill" or "side and face mill" is like a small, thick circular saw blade, that mounts on an arbor. So, the cutting action is perpendicular to the arbor.

Wawoodman,

These are true face mills, all 45º entry angle.

[Image: IMG_0988-r.jpg]

While the side-cutting slot cutter shown can be used for cutting some faces, it's primary function is slotting.

Where you thinking of HSS shell mills? I only have the carbide insert type now, but they bolt onto the same type of arbors that the face mills shown use, but have a 90º entry angle and are considered "shoulder mills". This is a 3" with worn inserts:

[Image: IMG_1369-r.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Take a look back at my post #10. What should I be calling that?
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2012, 09:16 AM)Wawoodman Wrote: Take a look back at my post #10. What should I be calling that?

I believe that's a shell mill, but the experts will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Ed
Thanks given by:
We always just referred to them as milling cutters along with a description. The one shown would be a straight tooth milling cutter.

Ed: I think shell mills normally have a key slot and counter-bored hole in them for mounting on a stub arbor. They are used more like an end mill.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2012, 11:09 AM)TomG Wrote: We always just referred to them as milling cutters along with a description. The one shown would be a straight tooth milling cutter.

Ed: I think shell mills normally have a key slot and counter-bored hole in them for mounting on a stub arbor. They are used more like an end mill.

Tom

Tom,

Unless my eyes are failing me, a distinct possibility, the picture shows a keyed bore. Maybe it's missing the counterbore to make it a true shell mill. Doesn't really matter. It's a mill of some sort. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2012, 11:56 AM)EdK Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 11:09 AM)TomG Wrote: We always just referred to them as milling cutters along with a description. The one shown would be a straight tooth milling cutter.

Tom

Tom,

Unless my eyes are failing me, a distinct possibility, the picture shows a keyed bore. Maybe it's missing the counterbore to make it a true shell mill. Doesn't really matter. It's a mill of some sort. Big Grin

Ed

Ed,

The key in a shell mill is actually a sideways slot, not an internal key. One is shown below along with a shell mill holder.

Tom

[Image: shell-end-mills-250x250-250x250.jpg]

[Image: tool-holders-jis-b-6339-mas-403-bta-shel...-small.png]
Thanks given by: