626 Mill Y Axis Stops
Hi
Lads
I Have wanted stops on my Y axis for some time
Rob Wilson kindly donated the T slotted stop casting from his 626
(be about the last thing you would want on a CNC)
First job was to remove the Y axis DRO scale
(this was never mounted properly as i wanted stops fitting)
[Image: P3250002-1.jpg]
Notice how long it is
The dovetail was mounted and some decent brackets made up
[Image: IMG_4257.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4261.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4263.jpg]

The scale was cut to length , i have cut these before and got away with it.
Not this time the glass came out of its mounting groove
[Image: IMG_4269.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4269.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4270.jpg]

I had a hell of a job getting it back in but worse was to come
The read head is a spring loaded job with a ball bearing running on one side of the glass , and some electronic miricle running against the thin band of tape on the other side
(sorry no pictures)
To cut a long story short i dropped the ball , after a couple of hours scratching about in the swarf i found it.
All back together now and working fine
John
Thanks given by:
I admire your courage cutting glass scales. So, apparently,it can be done.Thumbsup

I was going to say, Hey I'm not the only one with a "way too long" Y axis scale.

Maybe this is the time for me to " 'speriment " with my Mitutoyo scales, the DRO is acting up and it may be at it's end (sorry Claude!).

Oh, I'm still looking for the "dovetail" that was mounted??
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2012, 03:14 PM)stevec Wrote: I admire your courage cutting glass scales. So, apparently,it can be done.Thumbsup

I was going to say, Hey I'm not the only one with a "way too long" Y axis scale.

Maybe this is the time for me to " 'speriment " with my Mitutoyo scales, the DRO is acting up and it may be at it's end (sorry Claude!).

Oh, I'm still looking for the "dovetail" that was mounted??

The black bit above the scale with the 2 stops in it
John
Thanks given by:
John,
Well I'm glad it all came right in the end. Looks quite impressive, good job. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Sorry John, I thought dovetails were angled, I thought it looked like a "T" slot.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
John,

Your shop looks nice and cozy and well lit. I like it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs064
I have to admit to eyeballing the engine in the back corner as well. Smiley-eatdrink004

You are a determined soul John. And cool under pressure at that. If a scale flew apart on me like that, there probably wouldn't have been anything left to put together after I tied it into knot! Bash Bash Bash
Big Grin

I'm glad you were able to save the day after all. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hay Willie I too was caught by the engine!DroolSmiley-eatdrink004

Yes John I have to agree with Willie I'm afraid, once the glass fell out it would be pretzel time for the frame! RantBlehSadno
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2012, 06:58 PM)stevec Wrote: Sorry John, I thought dovetails were angled, I thought it looked like a "T" slot.

Sorry my mistake it is a T slot SlapheadSlapheadSlaphead
John
Thanks given by:
Nice work John - I'm not sure which is more impressive, getting the glass back in or finding the ball amongst the swarf.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: