Harrison L5 lathe rebuild
Good progress Mick. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
its getting their
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hi all, a bit more done on the lathe.
I have ended up re sanding the badges and just re spraying red , then sanding back to alloy leaving a sort of fine brushed finish on the alloy and not laquering them this time, the headstock badge is attached with correct twist screw type rivets kindly donated by Bob KRV3000. The cabinet door was given the same treatment and looks ok , I was going to mask off a square around the Harrison letters and spray red then sand back to alloy again but I think the red might wrinkle the grey and the paint is not hard enough to mask onto yet anyway.

[Image: Harrisonbadgessanded001.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonbadgessanded002.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonbadgessanded003.jpg]

The other jobs I have got done dont look much but all been fiddly as the paint is not really hard for manhandling yet, I have fitted motor and brackets , the gear selectors and started with the wiring grommets etc. I have attached the inverter and also a double socket to the rear of the electrics panel, I have decided not to fit the old bulky work lamp and instead fit two Ikea flexi stalk type LED lights as Doubleboost uses, these need one socket each hence double socket, I think two should cancell out the situation of the shadow cast by one being right where you want to see. The red 3 phase type plug is so I can unplug the motor to run/ test other motors using the lath inverter and controls.

[Image: Harrisonbadgessanded006.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonbadgessanded004.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonbadgessanded005.jpg]

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Looking good Mick
On the Ikea lights, I've been using them on the mill and lathe for a little over a year now, the lights work great but the inline switches are becoming intermittent, every so often they go out and you have to fiddle with the switch. The flex shaft on the lathe one is sagging bad, had to tie wrap a wire to it to stiffen it up.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
It's coming along well Mick. It's nice to see machinery in a "proper grey". I seriously need to address that green mill of mine. Chin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Looking good Mick - a splash of red between the horizontal bars between "Harrison" on the door would be subtle and still set it off (I think).
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Good choice on the VFD Mick. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
(02-26-2014, 08:37 PM)TomG Wrote: It's coming along well Mick. It's nice to see machinery in a "proper grey". I seriously need to address that green mill of mine. Chin

Tom

LOL ! yeah because painting it grey will make you a better machinist ! Rotfl
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hi Greg, I know the ikea lights can droop a bit after a while but it just seems to be the odd one so at the price they are I would just get replacement light, the switches would not be switched on mine just left switched on and the switch on the front panel will switch them.
Glad you like the Grey Tom, I like the Machine green as a rule but decided to do the Harrison back to original colour, as long as things are green or grey I am happy lol.
Ed I hope the inverter is good choice lol, it was new and cheap on Ebay so its nice to hear good reports Smile
I might try that red between the stripes once dried through , if I did not like the look of it could always surround the Harrison logo as I had been going to do.
I hope the Grey will make me better machinist too .......... if its that easy to solve , I will paint everything grey Rotfl

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
no i think you shud start a gane and pant it blue
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: