Harrison L5 lathe rebuild
Bob if this lathe ever gets painted again it wont be by me lol, it should last another 60 years so I dont think it will be my problem to sort it out next timeBig Grin
Hey Tom , I have just been watching your latest video 9 Very good as per normal ) and noticed your mill green Yikes >>>>>>tom I hate to say this but there is green .........and there is Machine Green and sadly yours aint Machine Greem Chin ..............it needs painted, that shade of green will make you feel sad Rotfl..........I doubt there is much room for colour change improving your machining in your case though so less incentive Smile

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, but it would still make me feel better. I have a couple of cars to paint this summer, so maybe I can slide the mill in at the same time. Chin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Well at last some more progress on the lathe.
Its been slow as every small part needs a good go over now as everything looks rough compared to the lathe now so has to be fettled before it can go back on. I have got a print for the workshop wall too. Its of a Dame Laura Knight painting dipicting a lady operating a lathe in World War 2 called Ruby Loftus screwing a breech ring , real good detail on the lathe.

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox005.jpg]

Right back to the lathe, its been electrics, lights , suds pump , Norton gear box , saddle , apron and lots of fiddly bits and bobs. A massive thanks to Bob KRV3000 for sorting out the Norton box and apron for me , Bob made new or fixed by sleeving most of the bronze bushes in box and apron as well as various other repairs that were needed after 60 years of use, as usual a superb job and they are sopt on now, so thanks again Bob.
I had already cleaned up the castings for the apron , and gearbox in prep for painting, this is them after Bob had run his magic touch over them.

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox006.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox007.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox008.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox009.jpg]

The Norton box was primed and then test run to check all was well before painting, all correct and working much slicker and more quiet.

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox015.jpg]

Time for more paint, primer first over the etch primer which is seen here.

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox019.jpg]

Then grey topcoat, I was glad to see this lot grey at last I can tell you

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox020.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox022.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox021.jpg]

Box back on

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox024.jpg]

Chuck guard and LED lamps fitted

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox002.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox003.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox014.jpg]

Then another big thanks to my mate Dave who managed to set the inverter up so I could use the switch gear as I wanted, the inverter works fine but is not easy to set up if you are not used to them.

The front panel is all marked up with decals and the rev counter in place and wired up, this is 12volt unit meant for cars and has a pick up sensor that works off magnets on a collar around the spindle.

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox013.jpg]

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox017.jpg]

So thats about it up to now, the coolant tank and pump are fitted too and I am now sorting through all the little things that need fettled before they go back on but the light is at the end of the tunnel now I think .

The samll things are bit such as the hand wheel and shaft where the taper pin would not come out , then drilled off center so will have to be repaired before fitting again , all time consuming stuff.

[Image: HarrisonNortonbox010.jpg]

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice progress on the lathe Mick. If it wasn't for the distraction on the wall, you'd probably be even further along. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Excellent work Mick.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
nice job on the lathe Mick.

here's a photo that you can put up beside Ruby,

dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Well done Mick. Drool Drool

Ed
Thanks given by:
Beautiful Mick! Does your rev. counter display appear on the VFD? I'd like to add that feature to mine (once I get it all set-up).
I'm also considering PINK work shirts while machining, they seem to stay a lot cleaner. Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing your Spindle RPM gauge shows the RPM based on the magnetic sensors on the spindle. That is a very neat idea. Would you perchance have a list of the parts involved and maybe a quickie wiring diagram. I think that would work great for some of my older equipment as well. Thanks
Thanks given by:
I have seen this lathe in the flesh so to speak
It is better than the pictures show
The attention to detail is a credit to you DroolDroolDroolDrool
John
Thanks given by: