Harrison L5 lathe rebuild
Hi Lads thanks for the comments , I am glad people seem to think the effort has been worth it lol.

As for the rev counter, I have found what looks like a better one than the one I have fitted, its smaller , neater and still cheap as chips. I have bought one but not fitted it to anything yet , it took a few weeks to arrive from China but it looks good quality I got it from this seller on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261307045946?_...EBIDX%3AIT The only other thing you need is a 12V power supply , I used a plug in type as used on walk about house phones etc.

The one I have fitted needs the pick up points sorted out as its not reading correct at the moment, I know someone else who has fitted the same one and his works fine so its to do with the collar I have the magnets fitted to having drilled holes already in it I think ?
I will report back when its sorted out.
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
well dun mick soon be cuverd in turnings neet with the rev counter
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Bob , I cant wait to cover it in swarf Big Grin , hopefully not too long now.

I forgot to mention the Photo Dallen posted , cheers, so similar, I think that photo looks like some I saw a while back that were also taken in WW2 using Kodak film, They were a crackin set of coloured photos , really clear and bright. Its strange to think that Ruby Loftus and the lady in that photo were both making items for the same war effort.
I know a lad with a lathe and one day as he was messing about with the garage door open an old lady came down his drive and asked was it a lathe he was working on, when he said yes , she explained she operated one during the war years and had a go on his lathe and did fine Smiley-dancenana she siad she really enjoyed operating a lathe again.
Cheers Mick
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2014, 05:39 PM)Micktoon Wrote: Cheers Bob , I cant wait to cover it in swarf Big Grin , hopefully not too long now.

I forgot to mention the Photo Dallen posted , cheers, so similar, I think that photo looks like some I saw a while back that were also taken in WW2 using Kodak film, They were a crackin set of coloured photos , really clear and bright. Its strange to think that Ruby Loftus and the lady in that photo were both making items for the same war effort.
I know a lad with a lathe and one day as he was messing about with the garage door open an old lady came down his drive and asked was it a lathe he was working on, when he said yes , she explained she operated one during the war years and had a go on his lathe and did fine Smiley-dancenana she siad she really enjoyed operating a lathe again.
Cheers Mick

I used to work with a guy that his mother was a welder in the ship yards during the WW2, the photo I posted of the lady the title says shes making parts for a B17 bomber.

Glad you liked it.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2014, 05:53 AM)stevec Wrote: Beautiful Mick! Does your rev. counter display appear on the VFD? I'd like to add that feature to mine (once I get it all set-up).

Mick, I'm still looking for an answer to my question.Smiley-signs028
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve, I had mentioned about the rev counter in one of the posts above with a link to a unit on E bay which also has a wiring diagrame too. Mine acctually displays on its own display the round digital clock lit up with blue didgits on the right hand of the switch panel.
I am not sure if you could make it display on your inverter display but if not the Ebay link is to a smaller square unit that would be easy to mount, even maybe on top of your inverter ? I think some inverters can show RPM but this will be motor RPM not the spindle if its thecinverter sensing itself. Maybe some will allow you to add just the sensor and takecthe in put then display on the inverter display ? You would need to checknyourcown inverter manual I think.
Hope this helps Mick
Thanks given by:
Mick, Thanks for the "walk through". I realize the VFD will display only mtr. shaft speed but thought there might be a way to talk to it with a spindle pick-up.

I think I'll go for one of these

http://www.machtach.com
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2014, 05:33 AM)stevec Wrote: Mick, Thanks for the "walk through". I realize the VFD will display only mtr. shaft speed but thought there might be a way to talk to it with a spindle pick-up.

I think I'll go for one of these

http://www.machtach.com

Very good choice Steve. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs064 always nice to support a fellow members.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi All , I have got a bit more done to the lathe and am on the home stretch now. I have tested the motor , gearbox etc and al seems well so far, coolant pump all fitted apart from the pipes for the coolant and the wiring all finished now.

This is the rear of the lathe, with the coolant pump back in position and the wiring all tied up.

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle001.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle002.jpg]

I mentioned I had got another neater RPM sensor and display, this is it here I got it from this Ebay seller from Hong Kong but quality item that arrived well packed in a couple of weeks and for £10 inc postage its got to be the answer to putting a RPM display on any machine really http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261307045946?_...EBIDX%3AIT . Here are a few photos of the one I have but not fitted to anything yet, the only other thing you need is a 12v DC supply and a bracket for the sensor. The actual display fits into a rectangle cut out in any panel or box and snaps into place.

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle003.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle004.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle006.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle005.jpg]

BobKRV3000 kindly had the top of the crossslide ground for me ( cheers Bob ), it was rough and battered and the graduations were all but worn off anyway so I will just set it at 90 degrees and witness mark it then set it with potractor when needed. At least it looks smart now and I could not have read the graduations anyway before.

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle007.jpg]

The chuck had already been overhauled ages ago so nice to just pick an item up , wipe it off and fit it , I think its the first thing I have done that too !

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle008.jpg]

Change wheels looked tatty now so they got a go over and paint.

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle011.jpg]

Tailstock had a few bits that needed fixing but all done and back together now, the morse taper inside the barrel is a bit rough but can be taken out to be done easy enough.

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle013.jpg]

The saddle had new felt wipers fitted as well as a general good go over.

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle012.jpg]

The apron was tested and the handwheel re drilled and tapped with larger thread on the wonky hole with the help of my mate Dave on his Emco FB2 mill ( cheers Dave ) My my mill is still sitting with the ram jammed in half way position so it can not be swiveled either way due to the wall at the moment ( the next job on the list )

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle015.jpg]

The cabinet door has had a new Yale type lock fitted, I wondered what the hell the handle/catch looked like until I saw one for sale on Ebay and noticed the lock.

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle016.jpg]

[Image: Harrisonapronsaddle017.jpg]

I am busy with the topslide now, it was rough around the edges so its been over to John Doubleboosts today to have the sides skimmed on his mill ( I am going to owe some favours out by the time this lathe is done ) But nice when people can help each other out with jobs, so thanks John. Once the topslide is on its just testing everything and setting everything up really and hopefully not finding any problems.

Cheers Mick.
Thanks given by: