Harrison L5 lathe rebuild
Very nice
I keep forgetting how much room you have DroolDroolDroolDrool
It will look great once it is painted DroolDrool
John
Thanks given by: Depaugie
I can't wait to see her dressed to the nines!

Will you be using the original alkyd enamel, or a modern catalysed paint?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Wow Mick! Nice job of stripping her down. Drool

She's going to look real nice fully dressed.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I would hope that I someday have the time and money to do a similar complete stripdown and rebuild of my Victor 1640 lathe. It's ways are in fairly good condition, but the headstock and apron both need to be reworked.

Best of luck with your project Mick, looking BRILLIANT!
Thanks given by:
Now that is a damn fine job Mick - well done. That is going to look too good to use when finished.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments lads Worthy glad to see people are thinking its worth the effort Smile. Tom I am using self etching primer first so it bites into the alloy and bare metal, then this primer filler is two pack catalyst type, really good stuff its like paste but you can thin it as much as you want, it goes on real thick where needed with out runs but can also spray on quite thin but covers great and goes on wet , that is not loads of overspray hanging in the air. The top coat I am using is fast dry air finish made by international paints, its single pack mixed with thinner type paint but I would say its in effect like a cross between cellulose and two pack paint. It covers great , has high gloss , dries in an hour , the over spray is dry in the air so lands as dust not wet particles and what you have left over just goes back in the tin for another dayBig Grin. It is also really hard wearing but unlike two pack not too brittle, I think its what Komatsu etc paint their excavators with.

Well after another day of none stop masking last minute rubbing down and general cleaning spray guns etc etc , I have made some more progress.

A bit more masking off of machined surfaces and a general sort out and sweep up, panels arranged upside down to do the etch primer underside then once dry turn them over and do the side that matters.

[Image: harrisonL52002.jpg]

[Image: harrisonL52001.jpg]

All coated in self etch primer , no nasty surprises and it always looks better when things become one colour , you fell like you are finally getting somewhere. I fitted the one door back onto the cabinet but the other needs a good go over so the primer would not have got done today if I had got the cast door ready too so will do that in with the next batch of parts. It took a bit of messing about to do one side then the other then move some parts so there was room for the other bits but got there in the end.

[Image: harrisonL52003.jpg]

[Image: harrisonL52004.jpg]

[Image: harrisonL52005.jpg]

As I was doing the etch primer I could hear screaching from the compressor belt and the rate at which the pump going was varied, as the etch was drying I truied to tighten up the belt but the motor was already as far as it would go so I had to drill four holes in about 10mm plate where the motor mounts and file them into slots joining the exhisting holes , the compressor if in a cupboard so not an easy task took about two hours but did the job. I then sprayed three coates of high build two pack primer, the castings etc got a bit more so they will flat down nice and smooth, all went well and no reactions of paint so as long as its dried without a hitch its almost ready for the gray top coat. These last shots were taken with the primer still wet.

[Image: harrisonL52006.jpg]

[Image: harrisonL52007.jpg]

[Image: harrisonL52008.jpg]

[Image: harrisonL52009.jpg]

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
You're doing a proper job there Mick. Drool

Ed
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009 Smiley-signs107
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
That lathe is going to have the proper look it deserves. Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nice paint job Mick, your going to be afraid to use it and mark it.
Have you tried hanging some of the smaller parts when painting, lets you get both sides in one go.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: