Harrison L5 lathe rebuild
:update:
Well at long last I have managed to do a bit more on the lathe, I have just been distracted by one thing and another for weeks so not had time. I have moved the lamp along the back of the splash guard as if the lamp was in the best position every time I moved the chuck guard up it would hit the lamp arm or if the chuck guard was in the up position and I moved the lamp it would knock the chuck guard down. Set further along the splash guard and chuck guard should not effect each other.

I cut the old lamp bracket up so I had the mounting end and a few more bits of plate were cut up to make the mount, I will bolt it to the splash guard. This is the parts for the mounting bracket.

[Image: lampbracket001_zpsfb2a4430.jpg]

This is the bracket welded up and mounted should do the job :thumbup:

[Image: lampbracket002_zps9c0126ee.jpg]

[Image: lampbracket003_zpsc677dd50.jpg]

The next job is to make a mounting plate and brackets to house the inverter and a metal switch box that will have the switches for on / off , suds , lamp etc. While I was at a car boot sale today I spotted this panel, that must have been some sort of display I think. I asked the man how much he wanted for it and he said £2 ....... :bugeye:, so needless to say it came home with me :thumbup: Drool.

This is the box with the stuff mounted as bought , the coloured indicators are ledtec 240v led indicators with coloured diffusers.

[Image: lampbracket004_zpsd9d94ef0.jpg]

This is switches etc removed, in total , an isolator switch 20A, five coloured indicators, a key type switch with two keys, an emergency stop switch , a stop switch and a side to side two way switch, a couple need the contact blocks but you can get them separate.

[Image: lampbracket005_zpse807ed32.jpg]

So all in all a bargain and big help for working out my control panel.
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Mick,
That will be a very pretty control box Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I had a chance to do a bit more today, I started to make the addition to the splash guard , there was a gap between what the chuck guard and the splash guard managed to stop spraying out the back, which resulted in a stripe of suds up the wall. I decided to make a wrap around addition behind the chuck to cover the gap. I removed the tube that covers the edge of the guard from the area and will replace this with new stuff once the part is welded in place.

The sheet is about 16 guage or 1.6mm thick so ok to weld but stiff to bend when you have no bending gear :scratch: after a bit of tapping around a tube it is looking more like what I am after, looks a bit too much like a lump of plate added on though, so a bend is needed :dremel:

[Image: lathesplashguard002.jpg]

[Image: lathesplashguard003.jpg]

Another bend and a bit sliced off and its taking shape

[Image: lathesplashguard004.jpg]

[Image: lathesplashguard005.jpg]

I mig welded inside and out and bashed it on the anvil while still hot to get it as nice a bend as I could, I will weld it to the existing guard then put the cover tubing around so it looks neat and matches the rest of the guard. It fits ok but I might trim the top off a bit yet as it is taller than needed really.

[Image: lathesplashguard006.jpg]

[Image: lathesplashguard007.jpg]

That was as far as I got today so watch this space Thumbsup

Cheers Mick.

Hi Dave I think I will tone the control box down a bit and maybe only use one of the indicator lamps, I dont want to confuse myself lol
Thanks given by:
Hi
Mick
Nice bit of tin bashing Smiley-signs107Smiley-signs107
It would look better a little bit shorter curves look great
John
Thanks given by:
Mick,
Nice bit of sheet metal work Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Mick,

Nice job on the sheet metal guard. That's going to be a real nice lathe when you get done with the restoration. Smiley-signs107

Ed
Thanks given by:
I have got the addition to the splash guard finished today, I was going to go out and get some steel tube to edge the are with but after I put the local radio on and heard the total gridlock on the roads due to flooding around the Newcastle area I decided it would have to be made out of some stainless tube I had lying around, it was only long enough with 1 inch to spare :bow:

I cut the part down in height as it was taller than needed, I did this with an angle grinder and a 1mm thick cutting disc , they work really well.

[Image: latheelectricbox1001.jpg]

I bent the stainless tube with a plumbers pipe bender as it was only thin walled.

[Image: latheelectricbox1003.jpg]

I tack welded the bent tube to the top as a starting point then cut to suit with the angle grinder.

[Image: latheelectricbox1005.jpg]

I pieced in the other bits of tube and welded up the joins , the front will match the original frame , they had actually used split tube so no welds on the back of the original as its only welded at the ends and joints. The back will not be seen as the lathe will be up against a wall , the rear tacks look worse in the photo than they are too but hold the trim tight and look original from the front side. :thumbup:

[Image: latheelectricbox1007.jpg]

Starting to take shape, I have ground down the welds between the original and the new part too.

[Image: latheelectricbox1008.jpg]

The finished job with the chuck guard and lamp in place to triple check nothing is going to hit anything it should not hit, all looking ok Drool

[Image: latheelectricbox1009.jpg]

[Image: latheelectricbox1010.jpg]

Next job is to make a fixture to attach the electrics box to , that will be located above the headstock and will bolt on via the four bolts tapped into the rear of the casting. So it looks like more cutting and welding tomorrow Big Grin

Cheers Mick.
Thanks given by:
Hi
Mick
That looks the part now DroolSmiley-signs107Smiley-signs107
Once it gets a coat of grey paint it will be spot on DroolDrool
John
Thanks given by:
Wow thats more like body work than sheet metal work, beautiful job.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The chuck guard looks smashing and the switches on the panel are worth much more than 10 x what you paid for the panel, good find
tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by: