Harrison L5 lathe rebuild
Very nice Mick. Thank goodness we got the picture posting problem solved.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice work Mick, thanks for the good pictures.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Looking good Mick
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
its cuming a long nicely mick keep it up
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the comments lads , I have milled that disc so its like the original part , not much else done but hope to get more done this week.

[Image: carboothaul008.jpg]

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hi Mick
Thanks for this excellent thread, the old girl will be better than new.Smiley-signs107
Interesting, that small brake on the clutch leaver, I have used a Harrison like yours many times in the past, but did not know it had a brake, do you push the leaver backwards to operate it??

Brian.
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:
I am not sure how I have missed this post, but you have done a great job so far.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Thanks lads , Brian as you say you push the clutch lever the opposite way to the drive position and it presses that disc against a thick steel collar that is on the gear shaft, I have never used it as I did not know it was there and no mention of it in the flimsy excuse of a manual Harrison provided, no mention of how to set up change wheels etc in it either.
If you look at Keith Fenners videos on Youtube , he has a similar set up on his Colchester lathe and uses it quite a bit.
Glad people are enjoying the thread anyway .
Cheers Mick.
Thanks given by:
Well at last some real progress on the lathe.

From looking pretty much stripped right down again.

[Image: Micenumberlathe060.jpg]

[Image: Micenumberlathe059.jpg]

The mission was to get this lot back inside the headstock

[Image: Micenumberlathe054.jpg]

[Image: Micenumberlathe056.jpg]

All the gears have been de burred, new spindle bearings and new oil seals, a couple of gears that had chipped teeth replaced and everything cleaned and checked over. The main problem with getting all the parts in seems to be most bits have to be inside the casing in their rough position but not actually in position and held there so that other things can be lined up at the same time, its a good job I had took plenty photos as my two manuals both have drawings that show several things that are not as this actual lathe so can do as much harm as help sometimes. Anyway after much struggling and trial and error , it all went back together and gears select and turn ok.

[Image: Micenumberlathe064.jpg]

[Image: Micenumberlathe066.jpg]

The next bit was the clutch , before the clutch used to snatch and sometimes not disengage, this was due to the pins in the vee pully that the clutch plate slide on having had notches worn into them and the clutch plates holes being worn oval. I was not confident of replacing the pins and drilling the plates spot on myself but Rob Wilson kindly did them for me , as you would expect Rob, he did a cracking job of them, cheers again Rob . You can see the pins in this photo, they have been fitted with slightly larger diameter roller bearing pins.

[Image: Micenumberlathe057.jpg]

These are the plates with the new slightly larger holes drilled to match the new pins.

[Image: Micenumberlathe058.jpg]

The clutch was then assembled, both the drawings were wrong and I could not remember at all how things went ! good job I had marked things as they came off, everything facing outwards received two small dot punch marks as you can see on second photo down at 12 O'clock , the steel clutch disc is flat one side and had a raised center on the other side as seen in third photo, it would have fit on either way but one way would be the wrong way , these marks ensured I put it in the correct way around so well worth taking the time to do this.

[Image: Denisowllathe001.jpg]

[Image: Denisowllathe002.jpg]

[Image: Denisowllathe003.jpg]

The next thing was a threaded collar on the end of the spindle has the holes chewed up so I drilled some new holes in the collar on the mill, lucky I already had the vee block and angle plate set up from doing something else on the mill as it would have taken longer to set up than do the holes.

[Image: Denisowllathe011.jpg]

This is the collar back on the spindle.

[Image: Denisowllathe012.jpg]

The clutch was then trial and error assembled, but would not seem to work, after looking at it really carefully I noticed witness marks inside an adjustable collar and remembered that I had put a small pin in a separate place in case it got lost , this was the missing link and once fitted it all seems to work ok.

[Image: Denisowllathe013.jpg]

The next stage is to prepare things for painting , a good bit of sanding , filling and priming needed, at least things should look as if they are progressing once some paint goes on.

Cheers Mick.
Thanks given by:
Exceedingly nice job Mick. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by: