Running a shaper - the compound
Day two of learning to run a shaper. The compound has a tendency to drop down, over-feeding into the work. Gravity? I've tightened the gibs to where it's rather stiff, maybe they should be loose? Or is the tool digging in and pulling it down? I'm using a toolholder with built-in rake, the finest crossfeed and .005" - .015" DOC in steel.
Thanks given by:
Pictures would really help - although in saying that I know nothing about shapers! However, we all like pictures and it will probably help those with the knowledge to help you.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
no expert but I would say the built in rake on the tool holder is pulling you in to the work. tool bit should be standing straight up and down.

you can silver solder a bit into a hunk of square bar, or mill a slot in it them silver solder or weld a cap on top and installed a set screw to make a quick and sometimes fancy tool holder, get rectangular bits long enough to use with by themselves

As Mayhem said pictures always helpBig GrinBig Grin
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Think of the compound on a lathe suddenly feeding deeper halfway across the workpiece and thereby turning it into scrap. I can post a pic of the rascal in question, but not sure what that would do for us. I'm pretty sure this is operator error.
Thanks given by:
The tool slide should have a lock on it, same as the axis on a mill or the cross feed on the lathe. (one of the gib screws with a handle) Run with it snugged up unless your cutting a vertical surface where your feeding the tool down. I don't think its pull from the tool per say that causes it to feed deeper, a constant load on the thread won't make it turn, but there is always come chatter from the cutter, (if there isn't your not working it hard enough) and the load unload action of the cut, tends to make the cutter to drop.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I don't remember if I offered this up or not but here's a little book that has a lot of useful shaper information in it. It's SB's - How to Run a Metal Working Shaper

PDF format and about 27M. I digitized the book and am hosting it my server so I know it's "safe" to download.

Hope you find it useful,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
I have that and a couple other PDF's. Maybe time for me to re-read.. They mention "shaping", like a keyhole or trunnion block and manual feeding up/down with your hand on the (moving) compound, but at the moment I'd have to say that won't work, shapers can't do that as long as they use screw driven compounds. You see my dilemma. I'll try loosening the gib screws and letting gravity have its way. I should have tried that already, it's not very intuitive but makes sense after pondering it a bit.
Thanks given by:

.jpg   now drill.jpg (Size: 27.29 KB / Downloads: 141)
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 30.25 KB / Downloads: 140) Answer to above oh yes it just takes co-ordination. I am sure
your problems - snug even gibs not to tight check play just under
the down feed keep the degree dial close to the shoulder. Next I
would get a holder that has no rake. Mostly I dont even use a tool
holder. It doesnt need a bunch of top rake. Think of this-you have a
Loader bucket flat on ground a little down pressure (thats your down feed)
next angle the bucket a tinch (tool rake) until you just shave the ground.
Play with bucket angle till just right. Angle bucket too much (rake)
and this will down climb and lift the front wheels off the ground.
thats a redneck explanation but thats whats going on Providing the
table, ram, are all nicely adjusted. I cut MT tapers gears splines
rounds slotted brackets boring drilling no tricks no rocket science,
you just have to understand its capables.
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:
Bj, what's that in pic #2? A martini (shaken not stirred) holder?

Sunset, I'd like to reiterate Mayhems post, pics man, pics.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:

.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 30.7 KB / Downloads: 117) Bj, what's that in pic #2? A martini (shaken not stirred) holder?

Oh I forgot that pic thats where the die grinder goes into but I use an
end mill
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by: