Running a shaper - the compound
A couple more hours has me convinced that there is something wrong with the compound. Tool geometry or style doesn't seem to matter. Tight gibs make it dig in, loose gibs make it ride up. The clapping causes the handle to turn. Something is broken, missing, or worn out. I'll take it apart when I find the time, but somehow it needs to hold position a bit better.

Here's a picture of the thing. If you see it on Craigslist, run away. Rotfl

Thanks given by:
Wait .. the deal's off. Would you guys believe that the clapper was clapping too hard? Seems so, anyway. Snugged the clapper locks up and then loosened 'em a bit. The clapper is limited to about 1/4" swing and things are looking stable...
Thanks given by:
Im a little confused I cant figure out the 1/4" swing it should lift right
up to get the tool post out?? Clapping too much try putting a spring
on top I did that and get a much better snap.

(09-08-2012, 09:42 PM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Wait .. the deal's off. Would you guys believe that the clapper was clapping too hard? Seems so, anyway. Snugged the clapper locks up and then loosened 'em a bit. The clapper is limited to about 1/4" swing and things are looking stable...
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:
Like a bad comedian getting the hook onstage, the return stroke would cause the clapper to open up to about a 45 degree angle with the toolbit about an inch or two above the work. At the end of the return (start of the cut), the clapper would CLAP! loudly. I was cutting air and with one hand operating the compound up/down when I noticed the slide would drop down at the CLAP! so I restrained it a bit and now it can't be heard. It was like hitting the compound with a hammer on each stroke.

Some sort of spring holding it back is a better idea than the setscrews - free to lift about 1/4" and the spring restraining it from any further. That way if an accident happens (loose in the vice) it would stand a better chance of not breaking things.

Now I need to make some tee-nuts.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 09:42 PM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Wait .. the deal's off. Would you guys believe that the clapper was clapping too hard? Seems so, anyway. Snugged the clapper locks up and then loosened 'em a bit. The clapper is limited to about 1/4" swing and things are looking stable...

might want to check that pivot point for wear, I can see it letting the clapper lean forward at the top once pressure is put on the top bit which would cause it to dig in, that may not be whats happening but it might be

I have some 1/4 inch thick red rubber that I take a small piece of and fold it in half and stick it behind the tool shank and the head to stop excess clapper movement

glad you got it to cutting without digging in,
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
My Logan has a spring to hold the clapper down but to be honest I've needed to remove it for clearance and never put it back on. Simple little setup. Found this photo of one on the web.
[Image: 41.jpg]
The washer against the clapper has one edge removed, you can turn it and swing the clapper up all the way.
Are you running the machine fast, mine sure never swings up, but as Dallen mentioned I tightened up the pivot. Reamed out the assembly with a tapered reamer then lightly reamed the clapper to give it a little clearance.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
It didn't start clapping hard until I set the stroke to 10" (16 inch shaper) and took it out on the highway and opened 'er up (meaning: took it out of back gear). Chips are still silver colored though. Heavy, horseshoe shaped, smokin' hot and thrown about 6 feet (I use a bounce-board now). I thought it was supposed to clap like that, sheesh. 17428
Thanks given by:
They are supposed to clap like that but the gear train in mine makes more noise than the clap.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
That's how I have it "adjusted" now. The machine is easily the noisiest of the bunch, so much so that it alarmed me when I first turned it on - I took one step back away from it. Holy cow, the noise and everything moving, there's nothing mesmerizing about this old beast. I can see it clappin', but can't hear it over the racket.

Hope to grind up some more toolbits and have at those tee-nuts soon.
Thanks given by:
A day has passed and I'm half done with a strip of tee nuts. Things are looking OK, but WOW is it slow going compared to making them on a mill. Spent all afternoon on a 15 minute project and only got half way. Fun though, even did the down feed thing with my hand on the compound. Didn't get back in the house until 6pm. That's one notch down the side.

There is definitely a trick to operating these things. Getting the other notch to match will be interesting...
Thanks given by: