Running a shaper - the compound
So why a shaper rather than a mill?
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Umm? Cuz I already know how to run a mill....Smiley-dancenana
Thanks given by:
So there really isn't anything a shaper will do that a mill can't? I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, that is just the question that came up as I was reading this thread. The shaper seems really cool but the more I started thinking about it it seemed a mill would do the same work.
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
The mill will do most things a shaper can and a few a shaper can't. Try cutting a circular groove with a shaper or a pocket.
BUT the shaper can cut internal keyways or splines. Cuts dovetails with cheap cutters. Tough metal that I wouldn't dare touch with a HSS end mill.
AND has a cool factor that no mill can compete with. There's something therapeutic watching it shear blue hot curls for a piece of metal in its own slow motion.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 10:37 PM)f350ca Wrote: AND has a cool factor that no mill can compete with. There's something therapeutic watching it shear blue hot curls for a piece of metal in its own slow motion.

Smiley-signs064 Smiley-signs021
Thanks given by:
Plus you get to add another machine to your shop!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 08:29 PM)SnailPowered Wrote: So there really isn't anything a shaper will do that a mill can't? I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, that is just the question that came up as I was reading this thread. The shaper seems really cool but the more I started thinking about it it seemed a mill would do the same work.

That's pretty much true, although I do like the fact I don't have to buy expensive cutters for it, and sharpening square bits of HSS is a breeze. That pegs it for me.
Thanks given by:
Answer shaper v/s mill? I know I wrote this before (CRS) suppose one sold his
nice BP years ago. Retired in 2000 took home $700 a wk. Now get $781 a mo.
worst yet got disabled from a 700lb dumptruck tailgate last Oct. Would like another
mill but unless it is next door and free. Oh I can put 50 BPs in this shop, I got the room.
Gotta make do. Someone wrote to cut a grove, like, for an "0" ring Internal External
Whatch me (on a shaper) just to prove a point, of course its a lathe job (which I have
three) bottom line also not a smart ass >> god gave us brains (except polititions)
think and use them. People tend to think screwdrivers are just for screwing screws!
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:
Shaper... easy to sharpen cutters, runs unattended. Is fun to watch.

I'm confused on the issue with the digging in. The crank shouldn't move unless you move it. (scratches head) no matter how hard it 'claps'. (my little shaper makes more of a 'cluck', not loud)

So, have you checked out the pivot? Something is wrong with the head I think. It shouldn't move unless you move it and if it does, that must be in the screw in the down feed.
Ken
An old tired/retired/wanna-be machinist. Cool
Thanks given by: stevec
I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but if the shaper tool has positive rake and resistance to that, on the part of the work, the cutting tool can seek to "dig in".
When thinking shaper, Stop thinking lathe! when a lathe tool starts to cut on a lathe, the more the force the less the engagement of the tool, as the force pushing down pushes the tool away(provided it's on centre).
If the centre of rotation on the shaper cutter is ahead of 90° to the work the force will try to push the tool deeper. If the tool is beyond the 90° point there will be no problem.
It's simple in my simple mind but I don't know if I'm explaining myself adequately.
Or at all.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: