Milling vices strip & paint
I have managed to find something else to distract me from getting on with the lathe. I have had several milling vices lying around on stools etc for ages so decided to strip and paint them and keep the best swivel and non swivel ones for myself and have found two good homes for two of the others. I will be putting mine on the new shelves and the other two will be gone so more stuff I am either tripping over or have to keep moving gone :thumbup: , meaning I should be able to get to the mill without hassle :clap:

Not much to see but here is the production line, the stripped vices sanded and ready to prime.

[Image: millingvices001.jpg]
Painted with etch primer, more of a job to paint than you would think lol.

[Image: millingvices002.jpg]

After two coates of RAL7005, mouse grey ( I decided to also do mine grey not my usual green, partly because I know one person getting one of the vices is allergic to my normal shade of green :lol: ) Also I could not be bothered with running two colours along the production line at once.

[Image: millingvices004.jpg]

All looks well except the grey paint that was supposed to be 'fast drying air finish' is just 'air drying finish' and was showing no signs of drying after a few hours :palm: , fingers crossed it will have dried by tomorrow or its going to get messy :bugeye: :bugeye:

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Looking very "factory like"
Have the vices been breedingSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
A similar thing happend to my boxford change wheelsJawdropJawdrop
I started buying sets on Ebay just to get certain ones now i seem to have boxes full of the thingsSlapheadSlaphead
Grey is more like a machine tool colour Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
John
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2012, 05:20 PM)doubleboost Wrote: ...Grey is more like a machine tool colour Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Smiley-signs064

Nice work Mick
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Mick,

Just wondering are you a vice collector RotflRotflRotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2012, 05:37 AM)DaveH Wrote: Mick,

Just wondering are you a vice collector RotflRotflRotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Hi Dave , just started when I got two 'matched' vices that were not the same on closer inspection then kept coming across othere thinking one must be a match to an existing one .... but alas none ever were Sadno I will have three left so should be plenty Smile
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
hi good job i no wher to cum to get a vice from
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
So Dave, you think vises are Mick's vice?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2012, 07:38 PM)Mayhem Wrote: So Dave, you think vises are Mick's vice?

Good one Darren. Smile
Thanks given by: