Can a vise be too big?
For my Rockwell mill (table size about 6 x 26), I was looking for a 4" Kurt, with a swivel base. The only thing I came up with (at a price I could afford) was a 5". I have it mounted, and it's a monster! Should I continue my search for a 4, or will I be happier with the extra heft of the 5? Remember that the Rockwell is a medium duty (compared to a BP) and so I won't really be doing anything that I would figure would be too much for either vise. 17428

BTW, if anybody has a 4 on a swivel and wants to move up, let's talk!
Thanks given by:
I put a 6 inch Vertex vise on my RF45 clone and like my 10 inch rotary table it is a little big but it is very rigid and I am pleased at how well it works. It looks like a monster on the machine but every cut I make looks better than on the vise I was using before so as long as you have room above the vise for the parts you are working on and the tooling I think it's not a problem. At least thats my opinion!!! tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Like Tom, I also have an RF45 clone mill that has a table size of roughly 9 x 32. I first bought a 4" vise with the swivel base, I've never used the swivel base, but I ran into some situations where the 4" could not open wide enough for the project I was working on so I bought a 5" vise without the swivel base. The 5" is a good size for an RF45 type mill but when Enco had free shipping on all of their vises and a 20% off special going, I bit the bullet and bought a 6" Kurt vise knowing I planned on getting a larger mill in the future. The Kurt fits on the table of my mill but then a 9 x 32 table is almost as large as some BP mill tables.

Enco has a 4" with swivel base.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTP...A=425-7241

Have you thought of getting a screwless vise? I have one and use it when I'm working on smaller items.

Ed

.jpg   5645131-11.jpg (Size: 4.73 KB / Downloads: 105)
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 10:52 AM)EdK Wrote: .... but I ran into some situations where the 4" could not open wide enough for the project I was working on

I've run into the same thing with my 4" vice as well Ed. But I just swapped the jaws to the outside of the vice blocks. If your part isn't too tall you can get away with it. Big Grin

[Image: th_4in6inKurt.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 11:27 AM)Highpower Wrote: I've run into the same thing with my 4" vice as well Ed. But I just swapped the jaws to the outside of the vice blocks. If your part isn't too tall you can get away with it. Big Grin

I can't see the picture because my work place blocks it but I'm pretty sure I know what it is of. I've since learned that trick also.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Wa, I'd stick with the 5" and you might want to consider the need for the swivel base.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve, I have the swivel base.

To all of you, thanks. I'll work with it, and see how it goes.
Thanks given by:
Sorry Wa, what I meant was you might want to consider NOT using the swivel base, it eats up vertical capacity and I could count on the remaining fingers of one hand the times I have used it. Chin
The number of times I've had to remove it to get extra height capability exceed all my digits. So mines gone. Just my experience.Angel
P.S. I have all my digits. Applaud
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 11:27 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 10:52 AM)EdK Wrote: .... but I ran into some situations where the 4" could not open wide enough for the project I was working on

I've run into the same thing with my 4" vice as well Ed. But I just swapped the jaws to the outside of the vice blocks. If your part isn't too tall you can get away with it. Big Grin

Willie,

Now that I'm home and can see the picture, is that a rare 4" Kurt vise you have there?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi
Lads
Micktoon has a 6 inch vice for me
I only have a 626 mill , we will soon find out Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSlapheadSlaphead
John
Thanks given by: