Wedge type QCTP
Darren, what do you mean "we love" Ed? I know you had that ATF experience so that could be your excuse.
Elijah, sharing stuff with a "young buck" is getting way too scary.
RotflRotflRotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Yup, this thread is getting kind of weird, or is that queer, for me. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
Sorry, Blush 'nuff saidBlush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
The "wedge" style QCTP arrived yesterday.(well, I picked it up).
I had to machine the bottom plate as the T nut for the existing turret was a different thread than the post supplied.
I used a carbide mill and it machined nicely.
I installed the QCTP and found that I had to crank the toolholders up pretty high, I guess the CXA would have been a better fit.
I really want interchangeability of the toolholders with my "piston" type, so, because I'm stubborn I machined a 3/8" thick plate to go beneath the QCTP. There was enough room on the centre rod so now the threads don't go 3/8 +/- up past the nut and the toolholders sit more in the middle of the QCTP.

I'm happy with it except for the Cdn. Gumint decided to tax me on the declared value of the shipment and then charged me processing fee for the tax they dinged me for.Rant
Thanks given by:
Steve,

It's good to get new toys once in awhile. How is the quality of the CDCO toolpost?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Quality seems fine for the price. I got a little nervous when all I heard after placing the order was from pay-pal so I called Frank, well he had to call me back in 10 mins., well it was more like a half hour but he did call back and said it was sent and gave me a no. (maybe a tracking no.?) anyway I was relieved that the order was proceeding. Before hanging up he grumbled about the long distance call eating up his profit and I apologized.
When I got stung for federal sales tax and handling charges by Canada I figured he got off lighter than me.17428
I'm just tooling it up so it'll be a while before I give it a full assesment.
Thanks given by:
Steve,
Looks good ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I've got some of his holders for the Aloris BXA, only grumble I had was their harder then a school masters heart if you gotta cut on em. I retapped all the setscrew holes to 3/8X18 so I could put in some better (probably chinese) setscrews from Fastenal.

and one that I tried to milled the slot lower in so a 3/4" bit holder would fit now that was fun.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Steve, the spacer plate is a great idea, will give that a try, I've got the B size as well.
Oh and quit whining about having to pay our great government their pimp fees.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ed, on the subject of your quality query, While making the following QCTP toolholder holders I noticed one of the 4 I got from CDCO doesn't fit my expertly machined holders. All of the 7 others I have fit so it's only an "undersize discrepancy". I haven't found any oversize inaccuracies (as yet). The toolholder does fit the both QCTPs so maybe I'm a little too exacting (hahaha)
Today I machined a little Corian I had in "inventory" to make dovetail blocks to hang the QCTP toolholders on.

The work holding set-up is a bit "unconventional" but, what the hay, it's only Corian (left over from the previous owner's kitchen deco)
Here's proof that they fit!

here's another view of the "less than conventional" set up on the mill.

Thanks given by: