Babington Burner
(08-04-2012, 12:54 PM)EdK Wrote: So is this thing going to heat your shop, or what is the purpose of the device? 17428

Ed

He's planning on going after Captain Nemo in his own oil-powered sub! Big Grin

Cool project,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Mayhem,
Wow, looking the part Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I am looking forward to see how this turns out ThumbsupThumbsup
I am spending a fortune on propane to melt metalSlapheadSlaphead
John
Thanks given by:
Hi Ed, John takes the points here, as it is for the furnace I am building. Although, I have seen people use these burners for shop heating. Ron may actually get a point for creativity!

Hi Dave, Thanks - as long as it looks the part I in its current form I guess I don't have to paint and chrome plate anything now LOL

Hi John, I too am looking forward to see how it turns out!!! Initial testing was done using some clamps and stands to hold the components in place for testing and the initial results were promising.

So far the entire unit has been cobbled together form bits and pieces in the workshop and the only thing I will have to buy is the gas fitting for the small butane tank to get her started. Actually, I tell a lie, I had to buy the #80 drills to drill the hole in the ball.

I am still to build the furnace but I have a beer keg that I 'found', which has been cut in two and needs to be lined. Given that I have to go and buy the materials to do this, I want to ensure that I am ready to do so.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube on this design and people seem to be able to smelt with them.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Mayhem,

A beer keg you "found" - full was it? Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Not any more Dave!

De-pressurising it was fun as well. I thought I got all the gas out and then pierced the top with my plasma cutter. I proceded to get a face full of of warm beer slops for my efforts. I must say, I much prefer my beer chilled.
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2012, 08:59 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I must say, I much prefer my beer chilled.

So you don't have an English Heritage then? Smiley-eatdrink004

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2012, 04:12 PM)Rickabilly Wrote:
(08-05-2012, 08:59 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I must say, I much prefer my beer chilled.

So you don't have an English Heritage then? Smiley-eatdrink004

Rick

Born in Kettering Rick and still remember going to the village pub with my Dad on a Sunday up until we moved to Australia when I was 11. Since being here I have appreciated the joy that is a cold beer on a hot day 5176

Not too much to report on the burner other than I managed to dig up a small 3 phase motor to use to run the oil pump. With the pulley reduction the pump runs at a nice speed and puts out a steady stream of oil. As this was a test run, I hadn't sealed the pipe fittings on the output side of the pump. As such, there were a few leeks, which were dealt with.
As I used Locktite 569 thread sealer to finish the plumbing, I decided to leave it to cure and not mess with it any further. It will get set up this weekend (all going well).

(08-04-2012, 04:06 PM)doubleboost Wrote: I am looking forward to see how this turns out ThumbsupThumbsup
I am spending a fortune on propane to melt metalSlapheadSlaphead
John

There is another oil burner that looks pretty good and has received a lot of good comments, called the Kwiky all fuel foundry burner.

I decided to go the Babbington path, as the oil isn't passed through an orifice, meaning that it won't block up. However, from the posts in the thread above, this one seems easy to clear and will reach cast iron melting temps.

If I cannot get the Babbington to perform how I want, I'll be trying the Kwiky burner. However, the bench testing that I did previously all pointed to the Babbington working. It all depends on what happens when I introduce it to a furnice!
Thanks given by:
All this talk of warm beer reminds me that I have a batch of ale fermenting in the cellar. It should be about ready to bottle next week. Smiley-eatdrink004

Darren,

I saw a design for one of these burners that used a slit instead of a hole. It used a hollow brass ball and was oriented with the slit horizontal. I assume the slit (.003" sticks in my mind) would provide for higher capacity than a single hole.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom,

There are different versions, 1 hole, 2 holes a slit. It was difficult enough to drill a single #80 hole. I am sure glad the drills came in packs of 12!
Thanks given by: