Babington Burner
(08-13-2012, 08:52 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Hi Tom,

There are different versions, 1 hole, 2 holes a slit. It was difficult enough to drill a single #80 hole. I am sure glad the drills came in packs of 12!

Yes, using small tooling on large machinery can be challenging. I once had to mill a .010" square hole in a piece of brass with a .003" diameter end mill. I did it on a CNC mill using a microscope so I could see what the heck was going on. You could actually see the individual steps (.0001") in the movement of the table along the cutter path.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
That would have been very interesting to watch Tom.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
It was interesting, but there is something conceptually wrong with using a 4HP spindle running flat out to drive a .003" diameter end mill. Yikes

Tom
Thanks given by:
I agree - totally underpowered Rotfl
Thanks given by:
And of course you'd have to square those corners up with a file too. Rotfl

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(08-14-2012, 01:58 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: And of course you'd have to square those corners up with a file too. Rotfl

Best Regards
Rick

As it turns out, it was for an optical aperture and fortunately the corners were square enough. Sweat

I see that there are now end mills available down to .001" diameter which is downright scary. Yikes

Tom
Thanks given by:
I hope they come in packs of ten,
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
On the weekend I managed to get the burner assembly and the motor mounted into an old roll cage.

Yesterday, I decided to run it up and it was all going well until the hose came off of the pump outlet Bash

Paper on the floor and a couple of drip trays now Rant
Thanks given by:
Yuk, there's nothing worse than cleaning up used motor oil. You should make one of those wire clamp tools.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I'm going to use proper hose clamps (jubilee clip), not the spring loaded ones I thought would hold it. At the time, I didn't have any hose clamps in the correct size. It was lucky that it went when it did and not on the previous occasions I had it running with my head in close looking for leaks!

Also, ignore the fact the the flame tube is off kilter, as I have changed the design and haven't realigned it yet.

I'm hoping to fire it up on the weekend.
Thanks given by: