My Imported Welder
(09-13-2012, 05:11 AM)EdK Wrote:
(09-12-2012, 10:27 PM)henryarnold Wrote: I also own an import TIG welder. I bought it in 2006 and use it 3-4 times a year. Mine is a Mitec Super 160P. It's a 3 in1 machine. It can TIG weld steel and aluminum, stick weld, and it can plasma cut. I've used for all three except I'm not successful at welding aluminum.

I also started a Yahoo Group for these kinds of machines. If you are interested, there are manuals, photos, and repair hints. There are a few advantages for these machines. They are inexpensive, they weigh around 45 lbs., and they are mostly easy to use. The big disadvantage is that if they break, you have to ship it somewhere to get it repaired. Mine has never failed. I was also able to get torch parts at my local welding shop.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chinese_TI...d=29921054

Henry Arnold

Hi Henry,

I knew you had gotten a TIG welder but forgot it was one of the 3-in-1 type. That looks like a very nice machine. When you say you're not successful at welding aluminum, is that because of the machines capabilities or is it just a learning curve you haven't gotten through yet?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,

I think the welder is fine. It just me that can't get the hang of it. I learned to weld steel and stainless steel quickly but have had no luck with aluminum. I have already tried the usual tips. I clean the aluminum spotless with a stainless steel brush that has never been used on anything else. I clean the metal with acetone. I'm using a gas lens. I've tried turning up the cleaning action. No luck. I don't need to weld aluminum very often so I make things from steel or bolt my aluminum projects together.

The welder works great. I it is light weight and so far I haven't had any breakdowns. I also have a MIG and I have to say I like the whisper quiet of TIG welding. It's amazing how nice welds come out. No cleaning needed. I have also used my welder's plasma cutting torch. It works fantastic but is quite a surprise if you have never used a cutting torch. It sprays molten metal everywhere all while making a nice narrow kerf. Lots of fun. The downside of these welders are that they require being shipped somewhere for repairs unless you are lucky enough to live near one of the dealers. Number one purchase advice is to pick a dealer that has been around for a while and provides service. Purchase price should be secondary on this purchase. Second tip is to look into Miller which now has some less expensive TIG Welders. In 2006, their least expensive TIG Welder was about $2300. Now they have one in the $1400 range. My import Super 160P 3 in 1 was about $800 with all of the accessories.

Henry Arnold

Example Plasma Cut

Accessories that came with my 3 in 1

Practice TIG Welds

My Bandsaw Stand.

henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Highpowrer for pointing me in the right direction.

Interesting stuff!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Keep at it Henry, once you get the nack aluminum welds just as easy as steel, its just that fine line of welding and melting.
A friend brought an outboard over one day with the cavitaion plate broke, where he dropped it. Sure we can weld that. So we clean it up get the pieces aligned i get the tig set up, hadn't welded any aluminum in some time but hay its like a bike, once you catch on no problem. So I grind a nice point on the tungsten and try to weld this thing, not going good at all, doesn't sound right, not flowing, try adjusting the cleaning action, different filler, the weld is looking like pidgin poop, Herb keeps checking our progress, he's frowning, Im cursing but its going together and we can always clean it up with a flap wheel on the grinder, just add more filler. Just about done when all of a sudden the weld smooths out the sound goes to that nice steady hum, the stars and planets aligned. The last of the weld looks perfect. DAAAA, the tip rounded out to a ball, I'd ground it to that nice sharp point Id been using for steel or stainless.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thanks Henry. How thick is that steel that you cut with the plasma torch?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Was that cut of the steel plate done with a plasma torch? If so, I won't be buying one, it looks zactly like my OA torch cuts.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
STEVE you would not believe how nice my cut 60 plazma does on 3/8 steel, once you use one you can't imagine going back to a torch except for heavier stuff
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(09-14-2012, 06:32 AM)EdK Wrote: Thanks Henry. How thick is that steel that you cut with the plasma torch?

Ed

The steel plate was 1/4" thick. I know it looks a little ragged but that's more due to my unsteady hand. The halves were pushed apart so you see the cut. The actual cut is only about 1/16" wide. That was also my first ever cut. The distance of the tip to the plate determines how clean the cut is. I can tell you that with the way it went through 1/4" steel, I could have easily cut up to 1/2" steel.

Henry
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
ED the welder that I have shown is an inverter welder, it does AC and DC stick welding up gto 200 amps and tig welding and on steel a bit of High Frequency in the tig circuit and you don't have to scratch start just put the electrode close and either hit the pedal or the button on the torch and away you go. It also does excellent on aluminum with the built in High frequency, I have done some beautiful welds on both 1/4 + 3/16 aluminum checkerplate but I have not enough experience yet to do a good job on 1/16. I bought the machine from China as mentioned for a cheap enough price compared to a US branded (chinese made) set that I figure if I break it I will just buy another. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by: EdK