Request for service - lathe related.
(09-16-2012, 01:20 PM)EdK Wrote:
(09-16-2012, 10:48 AM)Kaoma Wrote: In the picture showing the white plates, those I made from a cigarrette pack cardboard to illustrate what is needed. I would like SS since most of the extra attachments are from SS and also is a lot stronger than aluminum. Any other metal would be OK as well. I can not get a mill, not enough room left and the HOA would consided that a "SHOP" in a residential area.

Danny,

As long as you're open to having them made from steel rather than stainless steel, I'll make them for you, and a set for myself.

I checked out the wipers and they are not even rubber. They appear to be some sort of semi-hard plastic. I'm going to get some rubber to replace the plastic ones with.

Ed

Thanks Ed, will take upon your offer. Can you post a picture of your saddle back rail please? Original saddle was a POC as you know and the replacement is perfect (you have seen the small work done on my lathe) but the back rail dos not covered 100% the flat guide as seen in picture #2. Wonder how much is your saddle covering the guide, on mine I have had face them and lost 1/16" material.
Also did you get paint to match the original pain? I got mine from a auto body shop and it matches the color 99%, still have a bunch left if you want.
Kaoma, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Here you go Danny.

I'll PM you about the details of the plates you want made.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Both my lathes have oilers on the topside of the saddle, front and back. So, if you remember to oil 'em up at every use, wiping the ways clean shouldn't be a problem.

The above was extracted from the SteveC book of "Do as I say not as I do!" Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 03:38 PM)stevec Wrote: Both my lathes have oilers on the topside of the saddle, front and back. So, if you remember to oil 'em up at every use, wiping the ways clean shouldn't be a problem.

Steve,

My lathe also has those oilers but the oil just gets wiped off when the wiper passes over the ways so the oil is only there for one pass. It just seems like an inadequate design, but what the hell do I know. Bash

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, there's a bit of a "reservoir" of oil ( in my assessment) that would keep you lubed for a while. Of course when your doing you're a 2 shift a day production runs, you might need to add an occasional drop. (did I mention sarcasm is one of my preferred modes of communication?)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
well you cud mack them out of plastic rather than steel on my lath their was no wipers on the crosslide so i drilled and tapt m5 and made me wipers out of felt then made the wiper support out of plastic it works well
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Ed
Steve summed it up before I got on line. The oiler puts the oil under the apron and as I see it the wipers hold it in there. The Summit came with rubber wipers, it has an automatic feeder that pumps oil out of the apron. The tailstock only has wipers on the front, when you feel it getting hard to shove a smear of oil on the ways and pull it back onto it and all is good. The summit even has a wiper seal on the tailstock ram, and the cross slide. They must have felt keeping the swarth out was important.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 01:48 PM)EdK Wrote: Here you go Danny.

I'll PM you about the details of the plates you want made.

Ed

I see that your apron is the same as mine (before I had a face cut on it and lost even more material), what is the problem with those aprons? don't they know that it SHOULD cover the entire rail and not only 80% of it? What is the point of having wipers if the rail is exposed and no wipers touch it? and what about the rest of the rail along side of the apron that is not covered and all kind of swarf gets in there and under the apron?
Kaoma, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 09:16 PM)Kaoma Wrote: I see that your apron is the same as mine (before I had a face cut on it and lost even more material), what is the problem with those aprons? don't they know that it SHOULD cover the entire rail and not only 80% of it? What is the point of having wipers if the rail is exposed and no wipers touch it? and what about the rest of the rail along side of the apron that is not covered and all kind of swarf gets in there and under the apron?

Danny,

That certainly is a deficiency in the design. When I replace the semi-hard plastic wipers with some rubber ones, I'm going to make that rear wiper wide enough to wipe the whole width of the way.

Ed
Thanks given by:
thought that was what the ball oilers were for that are in the carriage over the bed, to oil the ways under the carriage while the wipers keep the chips and crap out.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: