Request for service - lathe related.
Precision is more a function of machine condition than the shape of the ways. Most modern CNC mills use a form of flat ways called box ways and they are very accurate and precise (repeatable). Part of the problem with the old Atlas and Craftsman lathes is that there was no oiling system and unless they were well maintained, they wore out prematurely. Modern machines with box ways have internal oilers that keep the ways bathed in oil at all times.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Well from the pictures my lathe appears to be in phenomenal shape. I will am the third owner according to the guy I bought it from and the pictures he posted show it to be impeccably clean. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I have but there are pictures posted here, I will post the link when I find the thread I made.

I won't actually get to playing with the lathe until after December 25th of this year but I will certainly take my own pictures and add them to the thread. He sent a mic with the lathe so I can mic the ways for consistent thickness and post what I find.

Here is the link to the lathe I was talking about http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=759 Perhaps I will have to find a way to make an auto oiler or something. Chin
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-27-2012, 10:53 AM)SnailPowered Wrote: Perhaps I will have to find a way to make an auto oiler or something. Chin

A good memory and an oil gun/can will work just fine6799
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Rick, you're making sense and I've been in the military far too long to make sense. Not to mention to more time I spend reading forums where people have mills and lathes that answer isn't nearly complicated enough to be cool! Rotfl
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by: