626 Mill Z Axis Feed Nut
Hi
Lads
The Z axis nut on my 626 is badly worn . I have heard tales of the nut failing and the table dropping (narrowly missing the bollocks of the operator)JawdropJawdropJawdrop
I stripped the screw and nut out and was pleased to see a brass sleve in the cast iron nut housing
Simple repair machine a new nut from some propper bronze Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
My mill is fitted with a 6 inch riser block (it is possible to wind the table up untill the feed nut disengages
Rob Wilson took one look at it and said "Do a propper job and make a longer screw as well"
The pictures tell the story so far
[Image: IMG_4302.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4305.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4312.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4320.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4321.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4326.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4328.jpg]

Next job the new nut
John
Thanks given by: 12345678910
John looks like a good job! I was gonna ask how do you get the nut on the screw Slaphead but then I realized you just haven't cut the right end of the screw yet.:17428
Right?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
John,
Well done mate that is a fine job Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup Worthy
Was it ordinary mild steel you used?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 03:19 PM)DaveH Wrote: John,
Well done mate that is a fine job Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup Worthy
Was it ordinary mild steel you used?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Hi
Dave
I used stainless (even i can make that look shiney)DroolDroolDrool
The thread is 8 tpi acme
John
Thanks given by:
That's an interesting tool bit holder you've got there John. Is that bought or did you make it. I know, there's probably a thread on the forum about it but I'm too lazy to go hunting. Blush

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 03:31 PM)EdK Wrote: That's an interesting tool bit holder you've got there John. Is that bought or did you make it. I know, there's probably a thread on the forum about it but I'm too lazy to go hunting. Blush

Ed

Hi
Ed
That is propper old school
I borrowed it off Rob
After using it i will make my own
It takes all the nasty vibration out of the cut
John
Thanks given by:
Hi John , all I can say is QUALITY JOB WorthyWorthyWorthyBig Grin , looks the dogs B******** , I noticed the tool holder too, glad it works so well ........ Oh no , not another thing to add to my do list ChinSlaphead
I look forward to seeing the nut getting done
Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 03:38 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Hi
Ed
That is propper old school
I borrowed it off Rob
After using it i will make my own
It takes all the nasty vibration out of the cut
John

Thanks John. I see a tool project coming up including the required pictures, I assume. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hey! I have one like that! I don't remember ever using it. It was too big for the lantern TP holders or even the first turrets I had.
Here's a pic.

It's got an insert in the opening that is probably removable if more spring is required.
If John says "It takes all the nasty vibration out of the cut" then it's good enough for me to dust it off and give it a try.
Thanks John.Thumbsup
And Thanks Ed, for making me go back and have a look Thumbsup
(I told you guys I NEVER throw anything out)
Steve
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
well dun john a brill bit of work ther and a well set out post
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: