626 Mill Z Axis Feed Nut
(09-16-2012, 04:06 PM)stevec Wrote: Hey! I have one like that! I don't remember ever using it. It was too big for the lantern TP holders or even the first turrets I had.
Here's a pic.

It's got an insert in the opening that is probably removable if more spring is required.
If John says "It takes all the nasty vibration out of the cut" then it's good enough for me to dust it off and give it a try.
Thanks John.Thumbsup
And Thanks Ed, for making me go back and have a look Thumbsup
(I told you guys I NEVER throw anything out)
Steve

Steve,

Does that just take a chunk of HSS for a tool bit or does it use carbide inserts?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, I'm pretty sure it's from back in the "pre-HSS" era.
Not that I am --choke cough!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nicely done John. Out of curiosity and maybe should know, how do you know when the nut is wearing? No indication of backlash on it.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Excellent work John.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Excellent work.

Two questions if I may. What lube did you use on the steady rest and where can I get a thread gauge like that?

Thanks for a great post and project.Smiley-signs107
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Here is one source for that gauge.... Acme Screw Thread Gauge
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 07:03 PM)f350ca Wrote: Nicely done John. Out of curiosity and maybe should know, how do you know when the nut is wearing? No indication of backlash on it.

Hi
Greg
If you lock the table
Then turn the X feed you will fing the play in the nut
(mine had 3/4 of a turn)
John
Thanks given by:
(09-17-2012, 06:50 PM)DanH Wrote: Excellent work.

Two questions if I may. What lube did you use on the steady rest and where can I get a thread gauge like that?

Thanks for a great post and project.Smiley-signs107

Hi
Dan
I use bearing grease on the fixed steady
No lube on the moving steady (just soluble oil (white water) and very low rpm
Thread guage on ebay
John
Thanks given by:
Nice work John! Over here we refer to the "moving steady" as "follower rest". You have the excellent lay-down threading holder, so if this type of job comes up again, I'd suggest you just buy a full-profile insert to make the thread. with those, just as the insert starts to "kiss" the O.D. of an ACME thread, it's done and is all nice and smooth.

I know it's hard to get single inserts at times. Over here we have suppliers such as MSC, KBC Tools and McMaster-Carr who will sell singles. I always buy 2 just to be safe.
Thanks given by:
Great looking project, thanks for posting this.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: