Where did you mount your vise?
My first tendency was to put it in the middle of the table. But looking at it, I'm wondering if off to one side wouldn't be smarter. That way, I would have room to clamp directly to the table, or set my rotab in place without having to dismount and unzero the vise.

What says the community?Chin17428
Thanks given by:
I usually put it in the center of the table, but then I take it off when I'm done using it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-19-2012, 10:32 AM)Wawoodman Wrote: My first tendency was to put it in the middle of the table. But looking at it, I'm wondering if off to one side wouldn't be smarter. That way, I would have room to clamp directly to the table, or set my rotab in place without having to dismount and unzero the vise.

What says the community?Chin17428

if you use a vise that doesn't have a swivel you probably need to re key the vice so that the keys are a really tight fit in the table slot then its not so much trouble to remove and replace the vice when not needed
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I tried the "have both the rotary and the vice mounted" setup when I got my mini mill. I didn't like it.

The reason being, that you have to have the table at the extremes of travel, and that's where it's most loose. I could tighten up the gibs, but then it was tight in the middle, and you really had to crank to get past that part. So, for the cost of a few minutes to mount and square up, I only keep one at a time on there now. I need all the help with accuracy I can get!
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
OK. I think I'll stick with what I have, as long as it works. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
rleete, Usually a mill table gets loose in the middle where most of the action occurs is there something about the mini mill that's different?
I had the vise on one side and the rotab on the other for a while but found that Murphy's law rules and you've gotta take one or the other of to clear some job.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Not that I know of. Mine's fairly new, so I can't say wear plays any part. It's just the way it is.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
i use mine mounted in the middle of the table.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
I mount mine on the nearest clean spot. Thumbsup
Seriously needing a cart here...

Another vote for the end of the table.
Thanks given by:
I always liked to mount mine off center to the left of the table, especially being right handed.

It always gave me room on the right side of the table to mount either a 5C collet fixture or a rotary table and operate it with my right hand easily.

The only down side was a longer reach for the handle on the right side of the machine..........not coordinated enough to use the short side and crank the left handle with the left hand.........Slaphead

Some things just don't feel right.......... Sadno

Best Regards,
Russ
Thanks given by: