new project
heres a couple of snaps of a project that I have been wanting to do for a while. and since the motor on the mill decided to take a leave of absence.

this is what I have been playing with. first photo is of the block that I threaded last night.

second one is of a Horizontal Press that I want to put together

got this far this morning now thinking about how I want to do the for better words the Foot or Support, what would be the table on a regular vertical press.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
DA,
Looks like you can do some squashing with that Thumbsup Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
It would make a great log splitterSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
John
Thanks given by:
Looks like a nice beefy press! Smiley-eatdrink004

A T-slot down the middle of your base would be nice. Then you could adjust your foot to any position. You could bolt a rectangular block to it that would fit into the receiver and slide right up against the back of the trunnion. Thumbsup

A spare jaw from a horizontal band saw could come in handy too. Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
well I don't want to squash, but thanksPcwhackPcwhack

and I don't have a wood stove thank you did too much of that running out in the cold for another log to throw on the fire when I was a kid SmileSmileSmile sides its to small to split logs of any size

Thanks given by:
(09-19-2012, 04:49 PM)Highpower Wrote: A T-slot down the middle of your base would be nice. Then you could adjust your foot to any position. You could bolt a rectangular block to it that would fit into the receiver and slide right up against the back of the trunnion.
A spare jaw from a horizontal band saw could come in handy too.

not too sure a Tee Slot would work with only and inch to play with, but a line of holes say .5" on 1 inch centers would probably work or just put in holes as needed the backer only really needs to be in about three different places to do what I am making it for. Damn wish the motor on the mill hadn't of toasted itself and just when I was having fun.

DA

Thanks given by:
I'd love to show you some pics of a 10 ton press I made with an I/H beam as the base. I can't find any pics right now but I'll try to get yo some pics tomorrow. How much push do you expect from your cyl.?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
that cylinder and pump is rated at 10000 PSI I believe been a long time since I got it. the largest press that I was ever around was a horizontal press that the company I used to work for built for pressing shafts into gears for the gear boxes we were building for pump jacks for the oil patch it was rated at 800 tons.

this is for just what the picture shows pressing rifle barrels into the receivers if things are right it won't need a lot of pressure, unlike the first one I did without checking things and the barrel was a little oversize for the trunnion.

I also want to be able to use this for pushing broaches so I need to have an adjustable foot on it or a couple of different shoes

Still want to see the picture thou, and I tacked an upright piece to the thing so I could try it out and I was able to sink the barrel almost to the correct depth but the bar bowed some so I am going to get some 1/4 by 3 flat bar and weld one down each side to stiffen it up some. Also the cylinder is leaking so it gets a rebuild

Thanks given by:
dallen, bowed is key, I'll take some pics and give some specs tomorrow.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Dallen,

You may want to add a gusset to that cylinder bracket in addition to the ribs on the base. The way it is now will be asking a lot of your welds.

I've never seen a barrel pressed into a receiver. What kind of rifle is it?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: