new project
(09-19-2012, 06:26 PM)TomG Wrote: Dallen,

You may want to add a gusset to that cylinder bracket in addition to the ribs on the base. The way it is now will be asking a lot of your welds.

I've never seen a barrel pressed into a receiver. What kind of rifle is it?

Tom

Romanian RPK although I'm putting the Barrel into a Romanian AK47 front truninion. I know on the gussets all thats holding it on at the moment is two one inch welds on the ends of the uprights.

Just about all the Eastern Block Infantry shoulder weapons use a press fit and a pin to keep things together cheap and fast if you get their reasoning.

this setup sure makes the job a lot easier then the vertical way I did the first one.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
DA, as promised here's a coupla pics of my I beam shop press. It too is 10,000lbs

the moveable table was modified at the bottom rod by changing the hole to a slot and drilling and tapping the plate for screws to allow "tilt" because the press was "opening up" like a kid's mouth with ice cream in sight!
I later added a bracket at the top of the press to try and keep the tilting back under control. I lost some range in that I had to lower the ram on the I beam two holes to accomodate the upper bracket.

This shot shows the "bow" in the I beam. If you look at the strip of light coloured wood immediately behind the beam you can see it's wider at the middle of the I beam than the ends.
The I beam is 3¼" x 6" and the 3¼" sides (top & bottom) are .270" at the edge and ½" thickness. I was surprised that I could bow a stout I beam like that over the 15 or so years I've used (or abused) it.

I have a larger press ram, an air powered pump and a design for a "conventional" floor mounted press on the mile long "to-do" list.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Yes I like that idea of a press and this one will be able to be used that way also I just don't have a 6X6 to hang if off of. You did loose some strength in the flange when you drill all the holes in it but not a lot.

Wish I had a picture of the big horizontal that we had at work but sad to say never took any. If things get tight I know a guy thats got a 75 ton press I can use.

the beam actually isn't made to be strong in the direction that its bowed.

Thanks given by:
Steve
We often use structural shapes in the most convenient way, but its not always the way they were intended to be used, I looked up the moments of inertia for your beam, putting the neutral axis through the flanges as you did and through the web, its about 12 times stiffer when loaded down the flanges.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I like the press cause it give your portapower dual purpose lots of people that have one would never of thought of using for a press and the press takes up almost no space which is also a nice benefit.

Thanks given by:
Greg, your tech. knowledge excedes mine (and me too!) I just build and try to learn (acccent on try!).
Da, I reckognize the potential of being able to to use the porta-power elswhere but haven't found an app. yet.
Maybe when the shop floor model gets built I'll find apps for the porta power.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
well I got out and about this morning and you guessed it, was lucky enough to find a gasket place that had the piston ring that I needed to repair the cylinder for 9.00 bucks plus the governors cut. So I got two of em and as my luck the barrel on the cylinder that my friend had gave to me was rusted pretty good, lucky again in that the one I started with had some pits but they cleaned up with a hone.

So now I'm back in the press business soon as I get my mill back to running so I can make some attachments to press stuff against.

Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 02:39 PM)dallen Wrote: the cylinder that my friend had gave to me was rusted pretty good,

dallen, I'd say your cyl. was rusted "good" his was rusted "bad".Rotfl
Whatever, I'm glad you're back to "pressing" issues.
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 02:45 PM)stevec Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 02:39 PM)dallen Wrote: the cylinder that my friend had gave to me was rusted pretty good,

dallen, I'd say your cyl. was rusted "good" his was rusted "bad".Rotfl
Whatever, I'm glad you're back to "pressing" issues.

his is pretty much trash. but I'm gonna hang onto it an use it as a pattern to make another one from out of some 4130 tubing seeing as how all the other bits are ok and I have a new ring for it. I think it will be a interesting project.

Thanks given by:
added some more weight to the press so it won't blow around when them Canadian winds blow thru.

Anyway guys over on the other forum were worried about things turning into arrow's with the base bowing a little so I added a 1/4 X 3 1/2 flat strap down each side with a spreader in the middle to keep them from wrinkling when some pressure is applied to it, skip welded them on so as not to bow the whole works

But first I did some work on this with it just to make sure it was still bowing up.

Thanks given by: