Needed a chainsaw carb gasket now on Sunday afternoon.
The hammer trick also works with masking tape for painting castings with machined surfaces. I did a Model A transmission case a few years ago, and the only cleanup was pulling the tape, 3 or 4 minutes, didn't even need to scrape it.

Regards,
Bob
bobm4360, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2012, 07:32 PM)aametalmaster Wrote:
(09-23-2012, 02:53 PM)stevec Wrote: 5 minute job? Chin I'm callin ya on that Bob.
It'd take me at least 5 min. to find an appropriate piece of scrap.
Rotfl

I have about 1,000 pcs of small scrap like that just for small hurry up jobs. Boxes and boxes of them...Bob
Ah, I rest my case.Big Grin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2012, 10:22 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Aw Willie ya gotta live on the edge.SweatBig GrinI've made hundreds of carb gaskets with a hammer, motorcycles engine cases as well ya just gotta tap lite!!TongueSmiley-dancenana

Jerry.Popcorn

Hay Jerry, if I had YOUR money - maybe then I could afford to live on the edge. Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

Yeah, I've had a few motorcycles that ended up cereal box gaskets myself. Big Grin

But with my luck I'd end up having to search for another little 2-stroke carb that they quit making 40 years ago. Bash
Willie
Thanks given by:
I have made plenty of gaskets from cereal boxes. When you're 10 years old and your dirtbike is your only mode of transportation and it needs a gasket it's the perfect solution. It wouldn't be my first choice but when I literally had NO money but did have some tools they worked great! Thumbsup
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 12:57 PM)SnailPowered Wrote: I literally had NO money but did have some tools they worked great! Thumbsup

I know that feeling...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by: