Acme Threads
(09-30-2012, 07:27 PM)PixMan Wrote: If you are grinding an ACME tool by hand, I find it easier to make a nearly sharp point tool with the 29º included angle first, then carefully grind the tip a tiny bit at a time (no pun intended) until the tip fits into it's proper notch in the gauge.

Ken,

That's a good tip (no put intended either). Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
I finally got back to this project, sorry the first one I did at 3 TPI got misplaced. anyway I used a 7/8 inch bolt and ground up a new bit at 6 TPI and rounded the head of the bolt and threaded it.

John aka doubleboost said I had to do the nut also. Well its not perfect but here's the picture.

learned that its not as tough as it looks but hey I got a long ways to go and I know its not as easy as this was. Anyway like my old daddy used to say practice makes you better,Smiley-dancenanaBig Grin

and almost forgot they screw together too,DroolDrool
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
That looks like a nice acme thread you cut David. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
DA,
Well they look perfect to me Thumbsup Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks EdK, and DaveH. I know they are far from perfect but I can say I know how to do it now, the internal took quite a while to cut due to the spring in the bar. I would take out 4 or 5 spring passes to clean it up when I got close for any change that I made in tool depth.

Another thing was I couldn't find the dang diamond to dress the wheel on the grinder which had glazed over and burned more then ground the bit when I sharpened it. I just had the dang thing the other day too, another case of old age slapping me in the face BashBash

Now if I just had a lathe rhat the carriage didn't try to turn over everytime I try to do something like this I would be in pretty good shape RotflRotflRotfl

Thanks given by:
You did very well i am impressed
Do they screw together DroolSmiley-signs107Smiley-signs107Smiley-signs107
John
Thanks given by:
yep like a kid glove, took some BashBash to get it done but did the nut in one try.

Thanks given by: